Possible to Do Silicone Breast Augmentation Via Periareolar Incision?

I was looking to get a breast aug with silicone implants of 300ccs. When I went to the plastic surgeon today for my initial consultation, the surgeon informed me that it would not be possible to do the breast aug with the periareolar incision due to the asymmetry of my areolas. I was wondering if this really is a problem (the asymmetry of my areolas), or if it was just this specific surgeon that is unqualified for it. I really don't want to do a under the breast incision. Thanks.

Possible to do periareolar approach

+1
Based on your photos, you would probably be suitable for the periareolar approach since your areolae are large enough. Perhaps you can see another experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion.

Periareolar Incision for Silicone Implants

+1
From your photos, a periareolar approach is reasonable could be used to make your areaolas more symmetric; however you should be aware that there is a higher risk of capsular contracture and not being able to breast feed with this approach. A inframammary approach would probably be the safest with least risk of complications.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Infraareolar Incision Possible for 300cc Silicone Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for your email question.From your photographs it appears that your areolae are large enough to accommodate a periareolar or infraareolar breast implant incision which would allow placement of 300 cc silicone gel implants through a Keller funnel. The Keller Funnel should be used to place the implant as it protects the skin.

Many plastic surgeons prefer to place silicone gel implants through an inframammary crease incision because this incision is typically larger than a periareolar incision and placement of the silicon gel implant is easier through the inframammary crease approach.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is experienced in cosmetic breast surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Periareolar incision for breast augmentation

+1

Based on the photos you should be able to have a perioareolar incision for breast augmentation. The determining factor whether you can have a periareolar incision is based on the diameter of your nipple areolar complex. If it is a reasonable size diameter, then you should be able to have the periareolar incision. If it is too small, then it would not be recommended.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to determine this based on the examination and measurements. The asymmetry of your areolar is not the limiting factor. It's just that the asymmetry of the areolar will not be corrected after you have your breast augmentation.

Kim-Chi Vu, MD

Incision for Breast Augmentation?

+1
I think you will have an excellent result with an infraareola incision.  This should not be a problem using saline or silicone gel implants. I agree with you that this tends to be an excellent incision choice.
I think the advantages of the infraareolar incision far outweigh any theoretical disadvantages. These advantages include proximity to the planned  dual plane submuscular pocket dissection,  relatively hidden/forgiving location of scarring,  coverage by clothing/swimming suit etc.

Periarerolar incision for augmentation

+1

You certainly can have a periareolar incision if you choose .  There is enough size to place a full sized  silicone  implant through the periareolar scar.  There may be some assymetries to your areolae, but then no one is totally even and symmetric and this should not be a big issue for you.  The most popular incision is the inframammary incision, but the periareolar  incision may be asked for  almost as frequently. You may want to get a second opinion if your Plastic Surgeon says that it is not possible for you to have the periareolar incision technique.  I believe you may be a candidate for this, but a full examination would always be necessary to tell this for certain.

Good Luck.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Periareolar approach.

+1

Analizyng your photographs, I think your breast augmentation surgery can be performed via the periareolar approach; yor areola diameter is larger enough for this option. Infra-mamary incision can be another option, and depending on breast implant size selected, probably the inframmary aproach wolud be less noticeable than a periareolar incision (f.e. in a gym).

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

There should be no problem performing a silicone augmenation through your areolae

+1

The size of your areoale should allow placement of a silicon brest implant through a peri-areaolar incision.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Breast Augmentation Periareolar Approach

+1

Breast augmentation with silicone gel implants can definitely be performed through a periareolar incision/approach as long as your areolas are large enough to accomodate the incision required to safely introduce the implants.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Periareolar incision breast augmentation

+1

Yes, as long as the areolar size is adequate (> 4 cm across), one could perform the augmentation via the periareolar approach.  However, studies show a higher rate of capsular contracture with that incision, compared to the infra-mammary incision.  So, there's a trade-off.

Thomas Fiala, MD