Silicon Rhinoplasty infected on bridge one year post op. What should I do? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty a year ago and a Philippine doctor used a silicon implant. I've had several swelling and redness issues but now my bridge is infected and oozing out. I'm having a hard time getting an appointment with an ENT doctor and the condition is getting worse. I'm on my second round of antibiotics prescribed by ER doctors. Please help.

You may benefit from consulting a reputable rhinoplasty surgeon about your infected silastic nasal implant.

+2
We do not use silicone nasal implants in our practice, but we have seen infections just like yours. Cultures should be obtained to ensure you're on the correct antibiotic. If 2-4 weeks of appropriate antibiotics does not resolve your problem, your implant should be removed. Central facial infections like this need to be treated aggressively, since chronic central facial infections may lead to a retrograde spread of infection to your brain.

In our limited experience treating infected silastic nasal implants, antibiotics have only led to temporary relief, and removal was performed. Prompt removal would be the quickest means of resolving your infection.

Hope this helps, and I wish you well.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected Silicone Rhinoplasty Implant

+1
You must remove the implant and simultaneously treat the infection - the sooner the better. This is why I avoid the use of silicone implants in nasal surgery; there is always a risk of infection, movement, or extrusion.

Silicone Implant Rhinoplasty

+1
Unfortunately there is no way to salvage your implant.  Once any implant becomes infected (and this means nose implants, knee and hip implants, etc. it does not matter what type) the implant must be removed.  After that a period of 3 to 6 month and maybe longer is required before you can perform another surgery to correct the the problem.  I am very sorry that you have been going through this.  

The implant can usually be removed in a short office appointment and then yo can get on the road to recovery.

I hope that helps.  Best regards,

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Infected silicone

+1
The infected implant should be removed and replaced with a rib cartilage graft - the sooner the better

Sam Naficy, MD