Should I Worry About One Breast Dropping Down?

I have had Silicon breast implants (Nagor implants) in now for 8 years. I've had no problems until a few weeks ago, my right breast had dropped about an inch lower than my left breast. I am 41 years of age. Is this just an age issue or should I be concerned? My right breast does look larger, but feel as soft as my left breast. I don't feel any pain or anything either.

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Dear Mollysquire, The change you are describing is hard to diagnose without examining you and you may need other investigations to determine what is happening. If they are silicone implants- the brand I do not know- then there could be a failure. More commonly what you are describing sounds like a capsular contracture in the Left breast and the capsule is pulling the left breast implant up!

You will need to have a consultation and a plan can be made to return the shape of the breast that you had before.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

You should see your doctor

+1

It is very unusual for a breast to suddenly drop in position. One explanation is that the left breast developed capsular contracture. This means that the scar around the implant became tight. When it does, it can distort the breast and make it appear higher. The left breast becomes higher, but the right breast appears as though it "dropped" relative to the left breast.

Another possibility is that the right implant ruptured. This could result in a change of shape of the right breast which may make it look like the right breast dropped.

Either way, you should see your surgeon for an examination.

John Diaz, MD

Sudden change is shape of breasts after 8 years

+1

I would go in for an examination. This can be a sign of capsular contracture on the left or possible rupture on the right to explain the differential positions or appearances of the breasts.