Are my Silicon Implants Leaking?

I'm four weeks post op and my c cup breasts that I came out of surgery with are now a small B cup. It looks like they are shrinking in size every day. I used to have some pain along the side of my breasts under my arms. They also looked more misshapen than they initially were. I'm extremely worried.

Breast Implant Leakage

+1

It is likely you are experiencing a normal surgery recovery.  As the swelling comes down the implants may seem slightly smaller.  Silicone implant rupture is not likely and in any case would not be associated with volume loss at this early stage of recovery.  Best to follow up and address your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question and submitting photos.

You are very early still in the recovery process so the decrease in size is most likely due to the swelling going down.  The shape looks good (as seen in the photos).

If you are having concerns, please go visit your plastic surgeon to discuss in detail with him/her.

Silicone Breast Implant Leakage

+1

From your photo everything looks ok. There are a few reasons why I doubt your implant is leaking.:

1. It is very unusual for an implant to leak, especially so soon after surgery.

2. Even if a silicone implant were to leak, the silicone would probably stay within the implant shell or at least with in the scar capsule, so you wouldn't notice a size change.

3. The decrease in size you are experiencing is most likely just post-surgical swelling slowly resolving. 

Try to relax and discuss your concerns with your surgeon at the next follow up visit. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Breast size four weeks after surgery

+1

After surgery you are expected to have bruising and that takes 2-4 weeks to resolve.  The decrease in size that you are seeing is most likely due to the swelling going away.  Silicone leak is extremely unlikely and even if the implants were grossly defective, the silicone would stay in the area, and you wouldn't notice a decrease in size.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

3rd question postop?

+1

If I am not mistaken, this is the third question you have asked about your result.  You seem to be devolving into almost in a panic now about things that just cannot be happening so PLEASE call your plastic surgeon asap and go for a visit to get all these questions answered!!  Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Leakage

+1

You are probably just experiencing normal post op recovery.  Initially your breasts were swollen from the surgery giving the impression of larger c cup breasts.  Now that the swelling is gong away, your breasts are looking smaller.  Strongly doubt they are leaking-that would be highly unusually and unlikely.  They do not appear to be misshapen in the photo.  Do you have a preop photo and what size implants were placed?  What was discussed with your surgeon regarding implant size and breast cup size?

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon