How Long Will a Silicon Implant In Nose Last?

How long will a silicon implant in nose last? Can the nose get back to the original shape after removal of the implant? How long does it take to recover after the removal?thanks.

How long will a silicon implant in the nose last?

+2

Implants are permanent. In general, the goal prior to rhinoplasty should be to have one procedure and have your surgery performed correctly the first time around. Your own natural tissue and cartilage are a better option than an artificial implant. I have seen many complications arise with artificial implants, including asymmetry, rejection, and infection. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

+1

I have used straight, silastic (silicone) nasal implants during Rhinoplasty for over 2 decades.  One of the reasons, I choose, this over other nasal implants is it does not dissolve or warp like rib or ear cartilage dorsal grafts.  The silastic implant will last forever.

Silicone Nasal Implant Removal

+1

Hi,

It should be very easy to remove silicone implants with a quick recovery time. Your nose will look like it did before however the implant does form a capsule, so you may have some fullness from that. If the silicone implant is put in correctly, it will look natural and last forever.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Silicone implants in the nose

+1

It is meant to be permanent.  They can tend to get infected sometimes, and then you will need more reconstructive surgery.  I am not a great fan of silicone in the nose.  Your own tissues make for better results, I think.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone nasal implant

+1

A silicone nasal implant should last years, as long as there is no complication such as infection.  I am not crazy about using them,  and the removal is a simple procedure.  However, when removing a nasal implant that another surgeon has put it in, I often am concerned about what is under the implant and why the implant was used.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Silicone nasal implant

+1

A silicone nasal implant can last forever. It is difficult to put a specific time limit on it.  It is always best to use autolgous tissue when possible.

Longevity of the silicone nasal implant

+1

Silicone implants last forever inside the nose and do not need to be removed or replaced unless they become infected or displaced.  After removing a nasal dorsal implant, the skin usually re-drapes to the normal shape of the nose. Recovery time after removal of the implant is usually less than a week since there's no osteotomies.

Nasal silicone implant removal.

+1

Nasal silicone implant removal can be done under local anesthesia but the nose will not return to normal because the skin and tissue is stretched. This can be replaced with your own tissue.

How long will a silicone implant in nose last?

+1

If you are not having any issue with your nasal silicone implant, then your implant can last for as long as you want to keep it. If you removal the implant from the nose, your nasal skin may have stretched out and it may not return to original shape. The recovery after removal is typically two to three weeks, allowing the swelling/bruising to subside. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

+1

Silicone nasal implants last forever and are typically only removed if they shift creating an unpleasant nasal shape, if they extrude (start pushing out through the skin) or if they become infected. Typically the nasal skin will contract if you need to have an implant removed but depending upon the size of the implant and the elasticity of your skin this can take several months. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon