5 Years Post-op Silicone Implants. Small Leak. Can It Be Removed and Replaced Immediately?

my silicon breast implants are 5 years old. one has a small leak can the implant be changed and replaced at the same time? or do you have to explant and come back a few months later to implant the new ones?

Breast Implant Exchange

+1
You can exchange the implant in a single surgery however you should have the other checked out by your surgeon before surgery to make sure it's okay as well.

Implant exchange

+1

I routinely remove & replace implants at the same time as long as there is no infection and the patient is in good health.  Check with your implant manufacturers warranty, you may be entitled to some monetary compensation.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Leakage at Five Years

+1

How was your leakage diagnosed? Did you have an MRI. If you have a ruptured implant, it can certainly be removed and replaced in one procedure. Most likely your implant manufacturer will cover some of the costs under their replacement warranty

Richard Linderman, MD

Ruptured silicone implants can be simultaneously removed and replaced

+1

Ruptured silicone implants can be simultaneously removed and replaced at the same operative date. Capsulectomy is not necessary unless extensive rupture  and silicone extravasation has occurred.

Replacing a leaking implant

+1

You certainly can have a leaking implant removed and then exchanged with a new one at the same time. This is fairly common.

Replacement of a leaking silicone implant in one procedure

+1

Unfortunately, silicone implants do not last forever,and will eventually have to be replaced. The leaking implant can be removed and replaced in a single procedure. I would recommend consulting with board certified plastic surgeon. Best regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Implant Exchange Only

+1
Unfortunately these devices do not last forever. If you have a small leak then the implant can be replaced. No other operations needed. Dr ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Silicone implant leak

+1

When there is a leak, I would recommend that the implant be replaced. I almost always remove the broken implant and replace it as an outpatient. It is much less painful than the original surgery.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Removal/Replacement Silicone Implant Can Be Done in 1 Operation

+1

There is no reason to delay the replacement of your leaking silicone implant to a later operation.  In fact, there are reasons not to do so.  The pocket which has already been created will likely contract if there is a significant delay between removal and replacement.

John Whitt, MD

A Leaking Breast Implant can be replaced in one operation

+1

Regarding: "5 Years Post-op Silicone Implants. Small Leak. Can It Be Removed and Replaced Immediately?
my silicon breast implants are 5 years old. one has a small leak can the implant be changed and replaced at the same time? or do you have to explant and come back a few months later to implant the new ones
?"

If you do not have other issues, the implant and the silicone are removed, the pocket is copiously irrigated with antibiotic solution removing all particulate residue and the implant is replaced in the same operation. Unless there is a thick or constricted capsule around the implant, it need not be removed or changed.

Dr. Peter Aldea