Is Getting Silicon Breast Implants at 18 a Bad Idea? How Long Will They Last?

I've always hated my breast and wanted to get implants, right now I'm 17 and thinking "Should I wait or get them ASAP?" I'm tired of waiting but if it would be better for me to wait, I will. I just need advice right now because I don't know much about my options, and does anyone know about how much it will cost me and payment plans?

Is Getting Silicon Breast Implants at 18 a Bad Idea?

+1

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA  mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Unfortunately, the use of these implants for these younger patients will negate the breast implant manufacturer warranty.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Silicone Breast Implants in 18 year old

+1

The FDA approval for the use of silicone gel  filled implants is only for women who are 22 years old or older. Saline filled implants do not have any age restriction associated with their use.  In my practice, the minimum age for breast augmentation with saline filled implants is 18 years old assuming that they are a good candidate and emotionally mature. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Silicone implants are "legal" between ages 18-22. But are you informed?

+1

CaseyJo, your question frankly shows a fair amount of immaturity, except for the part where you make the wise statement that "if it would be better for me to wait, I will." This gives me hope that if you do some very right and proper things in the near future, you might become an appropriate candidate for silicone implants before the age of 22.

As others have stated, the present FDA recommendations are that silicone implants be used only in women age 22 and older. However, it is perfectly legal to use them "off label" in properly-informed women who request them under the age of 22, just as we use Botox for treatment of "crows feet" when it is FDA approved ONLY for the treatment of glabellar frown lines!

My concern for you is your lack of information, your lack of ability to pay for elective surgery (even if you somehow obtain financing for surgery, how will you pay for revisional surgery if you choose a "cheap non-plastic surgeon" and end up with an unplanned complication?), and your apparent thought that implants are the "automatic" solution to "hating your breasts."

But let's assume you are a bright, thoughtful, high self-esteem young woman who has the maturity to be a good student, not use drugs or alcohol (including pot), and has a job and is saving the money for an operation that (depending on the area of the country you live in) will cost about $6000 (more on the coasts, less if a fly-by-night "cosmetic surgeon" is chosen because of cheap price).

Start by doing research on the operation, the pros and cons of silicone vs. saline, and how long each of them can be expected to "last." HINT: saline cost less, but can leak and require re-operation to replace the deflated implant(s). Don't choose "cheap" over the "best surgeon you can find." Click on the web reference link below for your first dose of reality! Then start looking at ABPS-certified plastic surgeons' websites, photographs, and RealSelf Q & A. Then arrange consultations with several of those who seem to know what's going on. Perhaps you will be ready before age 22; perhaps not. But please, do it right, not quick or cheap! Best wishes Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant age

+1

If you want silicone implants you will have to wait until you are 22 as recommended by the FDA.  Sorry.

Silicone implants

+1

When the FDA approved silicone implants, the established age for placement for augmentation was 22 years old.

David A. Lickstein, MD