"Silent Rupture" of Silicone Implants?

I have a round, lump in my right breast that is painful when examined

Silicone implants

+3

A round painful lump in your breast should be evaluated by your physician to determine the cause. The lump is not likely to be related to your implants. The best way to evaluate for rupture of the implants is an MRI x-ray. The MRI is extremely effective in finding rupture of silicone implants. Since it is a painful nodule, it is most likely a cyst, but there can be other causes.

Breast masses with implants

+3

While it is entirely possible for silicone implants to rupture or leak, it would be extremely unusual for a rupture to present as a painful round lump in your breast. Most ruptured silicone implants will present as a capsular contracture. A painful lump in the breast tissue is more likely to be a benign cyst. While it is possible that the lump could represent a malignancy, most breast cancers present as painless nodules. I would suggest that you have a physical exam with your plastic surgeon and then possibly have either an ultrasound, mammogram, or MRI to evaluate further. The benefit of each of these studies will be somewhat determined by your physical exam. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Silent rupture

+3

A silent rupture is one that is not recognized by exam. If you have silicone implants, the most accurate study is an MRI.  Good luck.

Silent breast implant rupture

+3

A silicone gel breast implant can indeed leak without notice (silent rupture) and therefore the MRI recommendation by the FDA to detect leaks early before tenderness and capsular contracture sets in. Your breast lump deserves a full exam and never should be assumed related to the implant or implant rupture.

Breast Mass

+3

There are several reasons that a new mass in your breast can be tender. This can represent benign, normal breast tissue, a change in your breast implant capsule, or could be more nefarious- including cancers. I encourage you to see your primary care physician or your plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation. This is not something that can be diagnosed on the internet.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Lump in breast with silicone implants

+3

Hello Danni. Finding a lump in your breast is frightening. To answer your question, silently ruptured silicone implants could lead to lumps that you can feel, but there are many things that can cause breast lumps. You are doing the right thing by addressing it, but I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to see a physician for an exam. I recommend that you see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. 

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Michael Vennemeyer, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Silicone Gel Breast Implant?

+3

Your concern about the breast finding is understandable but you'll be much better off  seeking in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons for accurate advice and recommendations.  It is possible that this consultation alone will suffice;  it is also possible that additional studies ( MRI study of the breast)  will be helpful in providing a diagnosis and treatment plan.

Lump and Silicone Implants

+2

Any breast lump requires physical exam and possibly additional imaging of mammography, ultrasound, and MRI.  MRI is the most sensitive and specific for detecting rupture. Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA 

Lump with implants

+1
Silicone implants can develop holes in time.  When this happens, the silicone has the ability to escape the shell.  Older implants seem to have had more of a propensity for allowing the much thinner, more liquid silicone used to escape the scar or capsule that always surrounds an implant.  As a result, it is not impossible that old implants can cause painful lumps called silicone granulomas.  These are uncommon with newer implants, however.  As with most things, it is better to be cautious than to be cavalier and an exam is certainly worthwhile in cases like yours. 
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon