Silicone Oil on Lips 2 Months Ago. Do I Really Have to Wait 6 Months to Remove it?

Hi I had silicone oil injected in to my lips about two months ago by a unlicensed lady bad mistake I have ever made in my life I cry every night because of it.Its my top lip one side is bigger than the other.I have called doctors some do not want to help one doctor said I have to wait 6months is that true?Is there any doctor that has taken silicone oil of lips?If so do I need to replace it with implant .what about steroids shot.please help am willing to fly anywhere to find the best doctor to help me.

Can be removed by excision

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Removing silicone from the lips in Los Angeles

+1

If you are having problems with silicone oil in the lips, you do not have to wait to have it removed. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

It is essentially impossible to remove the silicone oil from the lips.

+1

First, I strongly encourage you to report the person who injected your lips with silicone oil. This is the unlicensed practice of medicine.  If you are based in the United States, your state medical board will have a website that will generally allow you to make a complaint against this person.  While this will not right the wrong committed against you, it will reduce the chance that this person will harm others.  Regarding your lips, generally I think it is better to reduce the reaction to the silicone oil with 5FU.  This is an anti-cancer agent that decreases inflammation.  It is less likely to kill fat in the lip than steroid injections.  Generally it is helpful to wait 6-12 months before considering a surgical procedure.  I personally rely on lip liposuction.  This does not remove the silicone oil which scars in place.  Instead, the lipo reduced the contour of the lip by removing fat.  It is unlike to restore the lip to its former shape but it can help quite a bit.