Do Silcone Implants Hang Lower on the Chest?

Do Silcone Implants Hang Lower on the Chest

+1

Do Silcone Implants Hang Lower on the Chest? The short answer is no. They tend to have a lower profile and greater width for a given size when compared to saline.

Silicone implants and position on the chest...

+1

Hi there-

There is absolutely no reason to think that what is in the implants will affect the position of the breasts on your chest or the shape of the breasts.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Implants hanging low

+1

Silicone implants do not hang any lower than saline implants. The hanging low issue may because the breast needs a pexy or your breasts just sit low on the chest.

Silicone implants do not "hang" lower on the chest wall when compared to saline implants

+1

Silicone implants do not "hang" lower on the chest wall when compared to saline implants. Implant positoning is a function of the pocket created at the time of surgery and how one heals. Complications such as capsular contracture, bleeding, infections can result in malpositioned implants.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

"Hanging" out with silicone

+1

I see no difference in the position of implants based on whether they are  silicone or saline.  The position on the chest depends on how the pocket for the implant was developed not the type of implant.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Silicone implants will sit the same as saline implants

+1

After breast augmentation it is difficult to 'see' a difference between a saline and a silicone gel breast implant. Even for the professional, as you look at typical before and after pictures of breast augmentation it is impossible to tell if the implant is indeed saline or gel. I cannot tell in our photos, and I doubt anyone else can either. On feel you may detect a slight ripple along the lower edge of a saline implant, and the gel if not a 'cohesive' gel, may be softer, but not often by much. We enjoy using both saline and silicone gel implants, and the 'look' is the smallest part of the story. Take your time to choose.

peterejohnsonmd

Silcone implants hang lower on the chest

+1

I think you are asking if the weight of the silicone implants cause more hanging? NO! There is no difference in hanging whether I use saline or silicone.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Position of breast implants is determined by how surgery is done.

+1

Hi.

Silicone breast implants and saline breast implants will "hang" in the same position after surgery if the operation was done the same way. So it is not the implant itself that determines the final look of the breast; the surgeon determines that.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Position of saline versus silicone

+1

Both saline and silicone implants are positioned in the smae plane and at the same level for any particular patient. In my opinion I have found that saline tends to "bottom out" more because it seems heavier. The saline tends to go to the bottom because it is a liquid while the silicone acts more like a very thick gel and stays in the upper portion better. This is why the saline implants also tend to wrinkle more if filled normally or feel firmer if overfilled. At the present time about 95% of my patients choose silicone over saline.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Silicone breast implants

+1

Silicone breast implants have a more natural feel and do not hang lower on your chest than saline. They do require a slightly larger incision to place them and are more expensive. However, the softer feel and less tendency for visible rippling makes them an excellent choice for breast augmentation.

John Burns, MD