What Are the Signs Indicating Torn Sutures After Tummy Tuck?

I'm two weeks out from a full Tummy Tuck with hernia and diastasis repair. With permission, I've started light cardio and stretching (elliptical 30 min. and 1 hour of torso twists, reaching up, etc. NO weights. I've done this for 2 days).

I have a strange "stitch/pain/twinginess" on either side of my belly button when I stand up, and a little pain. Have I pulled internal stitches, or, do you think I most likely just overdid it? How can I tell? I've had a slight temp fluctuating below normal and 1? over past few hours. I'm anxious. Thoughts?

Post Tummy Tuck Exercising

+3

I certainly feel that you began your exercise program too early. I advise my patients to wait 4-6 weeks before resuming most exercise programs. I tend to have them often wait even longer for abdominal crunhes, etc. I think your activities increase the risk of tearing or breaking sutures as well as increase the risk of seroma formation (a collection of fluid between the skin flap and underlying muscle.

Exercise after a tummy tuck

+2

I usually have my patietns wait at least 3-4 weeks to do aerobic activity and wait 6-8 weeks to perform sit-ups or heavy lifting.

Activity after tummy tuck

+2

I generally tell my patients that they can go to the gym after 6 weeks. Two weeks in my mind is a bit too early and you are at risk for breaking th sutures and causing problems.

What you are describing is not considered light in my practice. In fact that is a bit too much for so early in your recovery phase.

Having said that every physcian has his/her own idea of when it is safe to resume activity(exercise) after surgery. In my mind why rush it, a few weeks longer can save you a lot of pain and heartache and additional surgery.

Farbod Esmailian, MD