Signs of Capsular Contracture?

I had submuscular silicone implants put in 1 year ago.My right breast looks and feels great, my left one seems to have start looking like it sticks out further and on the bottom inner area it feels & looks hard and more straight than rounded. It also hurts a lot around the same time as my monthly cycle. Overall the left one feels harder all over than my right. I massage them daily. Its been going on for a few months so not sure what I should do or if this is signs of Capsular Contracture?

Hardness after a breast augmentation.

+1

Capsular contracture typically presents as a progressive tightness, firmness, and elevation of a breast implant. In severe cases, it can lead to intermittent or constant pain. From your description you may be developing a capsular contracture of the left breast. What to do? Call your plastic surgeon and schedule an appointment to be seen. Conservative methods such as massage can help in mild to moderate cases. Surgery is necessary for correction if conservative methods fail. Surgery consists of capsule excision with or without the use of a dermal matrix (Strattice).

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hardness after aug

+1

This is the big question,why one breast is soft and the other hard.It can happen.soem patients may respond to massage or some singular which is a tablet.Sometimes an open capsulectomy is needed.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture?

+1

This certainly sounds like you have a textbook definition of capsular contracture. At this time, size or any other remedy will have no effect on this process. The only remedy is surgical, and even after this is performed there is no guarantee that it might not reoccur. You should speak to your surgeon and address these issues if you are uncomfortable. Unfortunately, most of the time this is a progressive problem and will not get better.

John E. Sherman, MD

Possible capsular contracture

+1

Unfortunately, it does sound like you have developed a capsular contracture.  If mild, they can be left alone.  The more severe the degree of hardness, the more misshapen the breast will become often becoming more projected outward, rounder, and displaced higher on the chest compared with the softer breast.  They can also become painful.  The only truly effective treatment is surgery to remove the capsule scar tissue and replace the implant.  All other treatments have not been shown to be effective except in rare instances.  I would make an appointment to see your surgeon to seek his input.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Signs of capsular contracture

+1

Unfortunately it sounds like you might be developing capsular contracture.  I would recommend that you make an appointment and see your plastic surgeon.  You will probably require capsule removal and replacement of your implant.

Shahin Fazilat, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options for breast hardening

+1

From what you are describing with increased firmness and possibly tenderness to your one breast may indeed be the early signs of capssular contracture. While it is still not known why this begins to occur, there are a few theories of what causes this inflammation of the capsular lining around the breast. Thus available treatments are geared towards decreasing the inflammtion. Oral drug therapy has been found effective in only a small amount of patients wheen started early (Singulaar or Accolate) and are directed at the inflammatory cascade. Message and vitamine E are things you can try, but are usually not successful at rversing the process. Mild ultrasonic treatment of the breast capsule (known as the Aspen Process) has been showing some encourging results and woud be your other option short of revisional surgery.

Terry Zimmerman, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Capsular Contracture

+1

I think you are correct in your assumption:  gradual hardening of the breast implant, a change in position of the breast implant, and a change in shape of the breast implant are all classic signs of breast implant capsular contracture.  

There is nothing that you could have done or should have done to prevent this from happening.  Unfortunately, at this point there is nothing you can do to slow or stop the progression of capsular contracture either.

You may feel comforted to know that capsular contracture following breast implant placement can be corrected, however, this will require an additional surgery with removal of the excessive scar tissue, possible change in pocket of the breast implant (i.e. moving the breast implant from over the muscle to under the muscle, or vice versa), and possible replacement of the implant.

Make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon in order to discuss your options for correction.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Breast Implant Specialist in Tampa, Florida

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast Implant Capsular Contracture

+1

It certainly sounds like you are developing a capsular contracture.  Make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an examination and to discuss treatment options.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Hardening of the breast likely means capsular contracture

+1

Based on your clinical history, it sounds like you have capsular contracture on your left breast implant (hardened scar tissue).  This is most likely to occur within the first 1-2 years after surgery. Sometimes medical treatment with vitamin E and Singulair can help, but depending upon how firm the scar tissue has become, you may require surgery to remove the scar tissue and replace the implant.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a more detailed examination and review of your options.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast Implants - Capsular Contracture?

+1

Hi 5267anon in Orlando,

It sounds like you have exactly that - a capsular contracture.  Despite a variety of non-operative treatments that have been described, the greatest likelihood of addressing this successfully involves removing the scar tissue surgically, which means you'll need another procedure.  I'd suggest that you contact your plastic surgeon.

Sorry about that,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS