Is There a Significantly Higher Number of Teens Who Choose Lumineers, Compared to Those Who Choose Braces?

Teen: Lumineers vs Orthodontia

+1

HECK NO!!! It is never a good idea to look at Lumineers or any type of veneer, prior to orthodontic treatment. There are very few situations where veneers or even bonding is preferred over orthodontia.

Typically going that path is irreversible and more costly, especially long term.

The only reason to consider veneers over orthodontia would be if the enamel was deformed or the tooth shape and size was malformed. In the instance where veneers are preferred for teens it is even more critical that a solid and well function bite exists to protect the large investment of the veneers.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Just a Guess

+1

In a nutshell, I would say no.  Lumineers are just a licensed name for prep-less veneers and are useful in only a small number of cases.  In my opinion, there are too many growth and development changes occurring in teens to place veneers routinely.  Placed in a stable environment, veneers should function beautifully for many years.  In teens, tooth position's and gum position's change as growth occurs and will limit the esthetic lifetime of those veneers, shortening their usefulness by many years.  In my practice, when cases arise where veneers are necessary, we use other means such as bonding to buy the patient time until they have matured enough that the veneers will serve them an appropriate life span. In my opinion, less is best, and if orthodontics can fix the problem without adding anything to the tooth, that is the best treatment you can have.  Remember, ortho can last a lifetime if you follow the protocol; anything else will need to be replaced every 10-15 years. 

Gary Nack, DDS
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers vs. braces in teens

+1

It all depends on your situationi. I feel it is always better to do orthodontics first for a young patient before touching a tooth with a drill.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist