Significant Swelling With Every Radiesse Injection?

I have seen first-hand that there is often swelling for a few days after a Radiesse treatment, after which I usually get great results. I should be assured by this. However, each time I do it, I do have very scary, unattractive amounts of swelling. This time, I also have a dull soreness every place it was injected. What is the soreness caused by? Are some people perhaos more susceptible to swelling than others? I don't have this same issue with other fillers - why would Radiesse be different?

Swelling from Radiesse

+2

Typical side effects associated with Radiesse injections include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. It is possible that some of these side effects may be affected by the injection techniques such as fan like injections, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Radiesse and swelling after injection will vary based upon depth of injection, volume of injection, and location of injection.  If there happens to be bruising as well, this will increase the swelling.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling Post Radiesse Treatment

+1
After an injection of Radiesse, patients may experience redness, bruising, swelling or other local side effects. Most side effects of treatment resolve within a few days. More rare side effects may include swelling that lasts longer, unevenness or firmness in the area injected, and as with any injection, there may be a risk of infection. Therefore, the swelling after treatment is a normal side effect. I would suggest an allergy test to see if you could possibly be allergic to an ingredient in the injectable. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

+1

Everybody is different when it comes to swelling after a facial filler.  You can try Arnica to help with the swelling and bruising if you experience that as well.  Ice packs work great too.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Radiesse Swelling

+1

Because of the depth that Radiesse is injected at, it does cause more swelling than other fillers like Restylane or Juvederm. I always advise my patients to expect more bruising and swelling, and some redness from Radiesse injections. The soreness is just tenderness around the injection site. Yes, some people will definitely swell or bruise more than others - especially if you take Advil or Aleve or some natural vitamins like fish oil - but more than that, it's the depth and type of injection technique used for Radiesse.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Swelling after Radiesse injections

+1

What you are experiencing is normal after Radiesse injections.

Some people swell more then others like in your case. It also depends on the injectors techniques and placement of the filler. Radiesse is a thicker filler and is more like bone substance so it creates more inflammation and more swelling another reason for the more pain felt after Radiesse injections. The pain can be reduced by mixing the filler with local anesthetic with adrenalin which reduces the amount of brushing as well.

Wish you best of luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon