Significant Swelling 15 Days After Chin Implant - Is This Normal?

I had a chin implant via intra-oral surgery. It’s been 2 wks, and my chin is still largely swollen. It sticks out in an unnaturally disproportionate manner. My doctors says I’m still swelling. I understand patience is key, but I’m worried: Is significant swelling after 15 days normal? What’s abnormal?

Significant swelling two weeks after chin implant may mean infection.

+2

Without an examination, a definitive answer is impossible, but "significant" swelling sounds worrisome to me, especially when the issue is an implant placed via a bacteria-contaminated route. I am sure your surgeon has done many chin implants via this incision without problem, but in general, the intraoral approach has a higher likelihood of infection than the submental incision (below the chin). Even if you are taking antibiotics (if prescribed, they were likely only for a few doses post-op) you can develop an infection around your chin implant.

If your implant is infected, more or stronger antibiotics may be prescribed, but your implant will most likely need to be removed, the infection treated and resolved, the affected tissues healed and scar tissue softened, and the implant replaced.

So, yes, this CAN be serious, and your concern warrants continuing to see your surgeon for advice regarding this. If things are getting better (albeit slowly), trust your doctor and be patient!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swelling can be normal after chin implant

+2

Dear Plunge

First and foremost, if you are concerned with the swelling, call your surgeon so your healing can be checked.  

The process of healing can take months.

• If your surgeon believes that the swelling is normal and doesn't represent fluid or infection, then:
  • it is not uncommon for slight  temporary numbness around the chin implant for weeks after surgery.. 
  • Having some numbness of the chin can make your chin feel more swollen
    • (Just like our lips feel big after a dentist numbs a tooth)

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after implant

+2

Significant swelling may mean one thing to you and a different thing to someone else so visual inspection is  a must. Swelling 2 wks after a chin implant is to be expected, an increase in swelling two weeks after is not, if there is redness or pain I would go back to your Doctor. If you want a second opinion find a qualified specialist.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after chin augmentation is normal....

+1

Swelling is very normal after having a chin augmentation.  However a lot of the swelling goes away by two weeks.  It is possible that you may need a smaller implant, but you should give it at least two months before you decide that.  Patients heal at their own pace, so your swelling may just be taking a little longer to subside.  If redness is present, it may be developing an infection, so I'd recommend seeing your surgeon so he can thouroughly examine you.  Be sure to discuss all of your concerns.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prolonged swelling after chin augmentation

+1

it is difficult to offer specific advice without a picture but swelling for up to 3 weeks after chin augmentation can be normal

Chin Implant

+1

Prologed swelling can indicate infection.

Consult a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY) ASAP