Significant Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I had breast augmentation 22 days ago. I am so sad that one breast is significantly lower than the other. It is also bigger. Nipples are uneven. Will it be even out after time?How long should I expect it to happen? As shown in the pic, its about 0.5inch different between two breasts! I was told that implants need time to settle but however, I feel it is too much asymmetric to be even out after time. I want to know your ideas bout this. Thank for all your kind answers.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Looks like a bit of swelling under your left breast, I would guess this will stick down, maybe wearing an underwire bra all the time will help that speed up and get you the symmetry you want!

Significant Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. I understand this situation is very frustrating and that it is difficult to be patient. However I concur with other doctors that you need to wait for your breast implants to reach their final position before considering a revision.

As others have stated your implants will settle significantly over the next 6-12 weeks. I do agree that your left implant looks significantly lower than the right side. If this asymmetry persists after another month or 2 then your surgeon will consider a revision.

If the left side continues to look significantly lower a revision to reestablish a higher inframammary crease is not a complex one and should be able to be done successfully.

Be sure to express your concerns to your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be supportive and understand your concerns and reassure you to that if a revision is necessary it can be done.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Asymmetry after breast augmentation is quite common. During the first 3 weeks after this operation, the 2 sides frequently act like different operations had occurred on each side. Swelling and pain is almost always uneven even though a surgeon would swear he had done nothing different on one side than the other. Allowing 2-3 months for this to settle is the best plan.  It would be interesting to see your preoperative pictures because you look larger on the pictures on your left side than you are on your right side. If you were symmetric preoperatively, I would believe that waiting would be all that is necessary.  You may simply have more blood or fluid on your left side than your right. The upper aspects of your breasts which are the more visible areas are more even than your inframammary areas as you're tape shows nicely.  For the purpose of this answer I have assumed you have symmetrically sized implants.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

I would recommend that you wait at least 3 months to allow the swelling to subside and the implants to completely settle before considering any revisions.  You may have swelling contributing to your asymmetric appearance at this time.

Donald Griffin, MD

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

As you know, it is much too early to evaluate the results of surgery. Personally, I have seen breast asymmetry similar to yours  “even out” with time. This may take several months ( and even up to one year). I would suggest that you consider follow-up with your plastic surgeon and try to be as patient as possible during this process.