I Have Signed Up to Have Six Fraxel Treatments for Wrinkling, Sun Damage, and Uneven Skin Tone.

Will the results be permanent if I protect my skin from further damage?

FRAXEL Dual is the best option

+1

Fraxel Dual is an ideal treatment to help diminish the appearance of sun damage, wrinkles and uneven skin tone. A series of treatment is ideal, along with the proper skin care and maintenance treatments you should be able to maintain your result. The skin does continue to age so keep that in mind and you will want to ensure that you protect your skin from the sun with an SPF that contains zinc oxide and proper skin care products.

Length Fraxel Results Will Last

+1

Taking good care of your skin and protecting it from further damage after your Fraxel treatments will help the results last as long as possible. But please remember that your skin will continue to age naturally with time, so there is no way to completely prevent future aging. You could benefit from yearly “maintenance” Fraxel treatments to keep your skin looking as youthful as possible.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel improves sundamage.

+1

Great! You are taking care of the old sun damage!  Resurfacing such as Fraxel Dual is very good at "wiping the slate clean" of years of sun damage. Of course, sun damage takes years to appear so even if you remove damage today  and never go in the sun again you may still show delayed changes from years ago. It makes sense that future treatments will help you maintain your best skin.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel does sometimes require touch ups

+1

Although Fraxel makes a permanent change in the skin, we don't stop the clock by doing Fraxel.  Even if you protect from the sun, your skin is still aging, so I always recommend that my Fraxel patients have one treatment a year to maintain their results. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Your results depend on which Fraxel Laser treatment, 1550, 1927, both (Dual), 1440 or 10,600 Repair.

+1

Uneven skin tone is often caused by hormones in combination with sun light.  This is called Melasma and it will improve temporarily with Fraxel Lasers 1550 or 1927, but will probably come back if good skin care products are not used along with sun protection to prevent repigmentaton.  

Severe wrinkles and photopigmentation are best treated with a fairly aggressive Fraxel Repair laser treatment or with full ablative resurfacing. Good sun protection with a large wide-brimmed hat and a potent sunblock will help to preserve the benefits or your procedure.  Personally, I prefer one aggessive treatment instead of multiple less aggressive treatments.  Fraxel Restore Dual and Fraxel Repair combination treatments can be performed to give the ultimate customized treatment.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

We can set the clock back but we can't stop the clock

+1

Fraxel treatments and other types of ablative and nonablative fractional resurfacing will reduce the appearance of wrinkles and acne scars.  Like the results from full field resurfacing treatments with CO2 resurfacing lasers and Erbium:YAG resurfacing lasers, you will never look as wrinkled as if you had done nothing.  The effects don't automatically "wear off" in a few months like with some injectable fillers or Botox.  That being said, you will, of course, continue to age and make new wrinkles even if you stay out of the sun.  Sun avoidance will slow the accumulation of aging changes but the effects of old UV exposure and ongoing UV from limited sun and even fluorescent light exposure will continue to the progression of aging changes.  We can set the clock back; we can slow the clock but we can't stop the clock

Lawrence Bass, MD