Is This a Sign of a Bad Surgeon?

The surgeon that i have selected is meant to be very good and he costs much more than others which is why i thought to have a nisejob with him. However i told him that i want very slight changes to my nose, get rid of the dorsal hump and bring the tip in slightly. I want to keep the length of my nose even if the outcome wont be a perfect nose it will be a massive improvement. But the dictir as told me that isnt possibe, that my nose must be shortened and that it will look better upturned.

Mutual understanding is key

+2

Although the surgeon comes highly recommended and charges more than other surgeons that is no guarantee that the surgery will come out to your specifications or that the surgeon is good. Also, your description of what you want may indeed be what he is planning on doing but the terminology you both use may be different. If the surgeon can provide you with pre- and post- pictures of patients with similar surgical maneuvers that may be helpful. You may also want to ask your surgeon for pictures that he or she has "morphed" to demonstrate the changes expected from surgery and see if this new image aligns with your expectations. If there is discrepancy and you are unhappy with these images then I would seek a few other opinions. I hope this helps!

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

If you and the surgeon have different ideas of what your nose should look like, you should definitely get another opinion. Just because the surgeon is way more expensive does not mean you will get a nose that you like. In order for you to get the nose you want, your surgeon needs to both understand what you want and feel he/she can deliver that result. If the surgeon is saying it is impossible, there may in fact be a real reason for that aside from just looks. It is difficult to advise you without any photos or seeing you in person. Sometimes the surgeon and patient have the same goals but word things differently, but if your surgeon truly disagrees with what you want your nose to look like, then it is probably not the right surgeon for you. Also, I recommend looking at the surgeons before and after photos and seeing if you like the results. If you don't, then that is another reason to go elsewhere. I can't stress enough to do your homework ahead of time, because if you get a nose you don't like, typically you need to wait a year before a revision. That is a long time to be unhappy looking in the mirror.

Anita Patel, MD

Goals of My Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

You need to get a second opinion from another experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. It is your nose which you will have the rest of your life. The cost of the operation does not guarantee a good result and patient satisfaction.

Rhinoplasty Objective Conflicts

+1

The key is to find a qualified plastic surgeon from which you can come up with an agreed upon plan and also feel comfortable with them. Price and recommendations mean little if there is a comfort zone problem or objective disagreements. I would go and have other consultations...that will put your initial one in better perspective.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Choose wisely

+1

Your surgeon may be fantastic at giving you a nose you don't want.  It is important that you are comfortable with their aesthetic sense.  What looks good to them should look good to you.  Cost and apparent prestige are not as important as communication.  If you feel you are not on the same page as your surgeon, move on.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Communication between you and your surgeon

+1

Afternoon Orla1986

it's important that you and your surgeon be on the same page and that you feel very comfortable with the plan you and your surgeon half. Perhaps even more important you want to feel comfortable with the surgeon in general because as you say the outcome may not be perfect and if you're unsure about your surgeon now you may always find yourself wondering "did I pick the right person?" The reality is there's a lot of excellent rhinoplasty surgeons available to you. It would be best for you if you find the right relationship or connection but with someone who has a very clear track record of performing rhinoplasty effectively and with regularity. I wouldn't say this surgeon is good or bad just that this person has a very clear opinion about what is best for you.

Get a few more consultations before proceeding.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and request

+1

I think that you have to feel comofortable with your doctor and have a general understanding of what your goals are, as well as realistic expectations.

Bad surgeon?

+1

The price of rhinoplasty is not necessarily reflective of the quality of work that   is performed. The most important  metric to look at  is the communication between the patient and the surgeon.  Also important to make sure the surgeon has performed thousands of  rhinoplasties in their career.  If you do not feel comfortable communicating  your desires with your surgeon, then obtain a second opinion. It's also a good idea to try  computer imaging  so that you get a visual idea of what can be accomplished. Virtual  rhinoplasty software is available on our website for you to try

Communication with your surgeon is key in rhinoplasty

+1

The high recommendations and price do not necessarily mean a given surgeon is right for you.  You should feel comfortable in your ability to communicate with your surgeon (and vice versa) so that you have the same understanding of what you may achieve.  While only you and your surgeon can really know the specifics of your situation, it sounds as if the communication is not quite there.  Take your time before making any decision with regards to your health care--see a few docs and revisit this one if you feel it is necessary.  Only when you both feel comfortable (you and your surgeon) should you proceed.

Hope this helps.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon