Sientra Shaped Implants vs. Smooth Round Gel for Breast Cancer Reconstruction?

I am considering a revision from smooth round silicone implants following bilateral mastectomies to the Sientra shaped implants. Which base shape is generally best for breast reconstruction? Does the textured surface of the Sientra implants contribute to higher incidence of rippling compared to smooth round gel? Lastly, just how much stiffer do the Sientra implants feel in vivo? The gel implants I currently have are more firm than breast tissue. I am wondering just how much firmer Sientras are.

Formstable (Sientra) vs. round gel implants ?

+3

It is difficult to create the same projection of breasts with Gel implants your tissue expander did. Since I started to use form stable implants I am much more pleased with the results.

Form stable implants (Sientra) are a little bit firmer and look "stiffer". Nevertheless I would think they qualify for "soft" breasts. What Softness means for your  breasts is  very personal . Round vs. tear drop implants once placed in a breast pocket should  not appear very different. Rippling should not be an  issue.

I would recommend you look and feel the different implants in your surgeons office. Maybe place  even a form stable implant into your bra and feel their softness than. 

Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Shaped implants vs. smooth round for reconstruction

+3

The sientra shaped implants come in a variey of shapes and profiles.  I use them in my breast reconstruction practice most often for thin women because there is less rippling (rippling is more visible in thinner women) and they lend a more natural, tear drop shape to the reconstruction. We have Sientra implants in the office for patients to feel.  They are a more cohesive gel than the non-Sientra, smooth, round, silicone implants and are, therefore, firmer.  I prefer to use the higher profile implants in thin women and the wider base, lower profile implants in fuller figured women.  Consult with a plastic surgeon who uses both implants to determine if the switch is right for you. 

Elizabeth Kim, MD

Individualize implant choice for breast reconstruction revision

+2

There is no single answer to your question but shaped implants such as those from Sientra may help. (See before & after pictures of a revision from smooth round to Sientra shaped implants on the link below.) They do feel firmer than round implants but do not ripple more.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast reconstruction with Sientra Implants

+1
I would not use round implants for reconstruction outside of one clinical situation in particular.  The overwhelming majority are Shaped cohesive gel implants.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being seen in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Sientra Breast Implants: Great for Augmentation and Post Mastectomy Reconstruction

+1
The best base shape in part is determined by your anatomical measurement and desired appearance. Often high profile implants are used as ideal projection most often is a problem. Sientra implants have less rippling than the older Allergan or Mentor Implants as the silicone gell is more highly cohesive and retains its shape better. They do not seem to be overly firm in my experience.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Shaped Form Stable Breast Implants

+1
Shaped-form stable breasts implants are implants that are designed with a lower point of maximal projection, and they are designed with what is considered an anatomic shape. In some patients they provide a more natural appearing breast augmentation result. This is a shaped form-stable implant. They come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. This one is a little bit taller than it is wide. It has a fairly low point of maximal projection, and it’s an intermediate projection implant. Are shaped form-stable implants the best device for every patient? Well, no. If you have a breast that’s already full in the lower pole and somewhat elongated, you will get a perfectly good result with a round implant in most cases. However, if you have a very small starting breast volume (A or small B), and especially if you need to have the inframammary fold lowered to achieve an ideal implant position on the chest wall then shaped form-stable implants provide a lot of advantages. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon