One Side of Tummy is More Swollen than the Other After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 3 months post tummy tuck and one side (the left side) of tummy above incision is more swollen then the other. It isnt awful but it noticeable. Is this swelling that will go down or will i need lipo to correct this? Is it normal to still have this at 3 months post op?

Swelling after tummy tuck

+3
It is common for one side to swell more than the other; typically, patients are not symmetrical to begin with and your doctor may have done more work on one side than on the other. Residual swelling can remain for several more months so I would give it time to resolve. You could certainly have a little liposuction at a later date. Best of luck.

Why Is My Abdomen Uneven After Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for providing us with your picture after tummy tuck.  Kudos to you for choosing an excellent plastic surgeon.  You have a great looking belly button (the redness will resolve) and the tummy tuck scar is completely hidden under your bikini bottom. 

The asymmetry you are referring to more than likely was present prior to surgery.  Some of it will resolve with time, but post operative liposuction which I recommend to all my tummy tuck patients can be done three months after abdominoplasty. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment.
Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.

Potential reasons for asymmetry after tummy tuck

+1

There are a handful of reasons to have asymmetric fullness after a tummy tuck.  Including:

-different amounts of fat

-asymmetric muscle tightening

-seroma or hematoma

-pseudobursa

-asymmetric undermining

It is hard to know which of the above is causing your asymmetry without an examination but I suspect it is fourth or fifth of the above options.  Liposuction can release some of the attachments if uneven undermining is the cause.  At three months you would best be served by waiting longer and seeing of you continue to see improvements or if it is stable.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD