Has One Side Really Been Swollen Up Until Now or is It a Collapse? (photo)

I am about 1 year and 4 months post-op, and I have recently visited the surgeon who worked on my nose. I told him that my nose was left asymmetrical. He tried to convince me that one side of my nose was more swollen than the other, so he ended up giving me a cortisone shot. Would you say that's the case? To me, it looks like my nose was shifted to one side. There is also a dent on the bridge. As for the shot, 2 months later and I can safely say I haven’t noticed any difference.

Rhinoplasty revision

+2

Your posted photos corroborate your concerns and I do not think swelling is the problem. You will need additional surgery but it should be minor. The best person to do this is your surgeon who was in there before and knows what was done etc. My suggestion is to have him/her refer you to a colleague for a second opinion. Surgeons are human and sometimes find it hard to see less than optimal results in their work.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

16 months after rhinoplasty: what you have is the result.

+1

Sixteen months after rhinoplasty surgery, the swelling has gone down.  Everything has settled down.  Typically, what you see is the result. 

Is it possible that the cortisone injection caused a little bit of a dent and asymmetry?  If the cortisone shot was given, and you have not noticed any difference, then again, that seems to indicate that Nature has finished the job and the structure is stable.

The question that arises is whether or not you would benefit from a filler becasue you said there is a "dent" on the bridge.  The bridge looks a tad low, so maybe you could benefit from filling injections and avoid having a revision rhinoplasty.

It is always wise to get a second opinion from an experience nasal surgeon.  Be sure to bring:

• All your records
  • Your "before" photographs
  • The operative report
  • Doctor's chart notes. 

You will have some peace of mind when you have more information from another specialist.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Has One Side Really Been Swollen Up Until Now or is It a Collapse?

+1

IMHO, of performing Rhinoplasty for over 20 years...these questions are the most difficult for me to answer.  While it's always easier to say, have a revision Rhinoplasty...the reality was that don't know what your nose looked like pre-op or what you asked the Rhinoplasty Surgeon to do.  All I can tell you is that there is a slight indent on the leeft and the bridge is a bit scooped.

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

I do not think that swelling is the issue so long after surgery. Secondary revision surgery should be pretty easy. You might be able to make the correction without surgery by using fillers. This would be temporary but could tide you over if you are not up for surgery right now. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

Asymmetrical Nose 16 Months Post-op

+1

If you're not satisfied with your rhinoplasty result, share that feeling with your surgeon and/or get a second opinion from another surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty surgery. 

Asymmetric nose after surgery

+1

All faces are asymmetric which makes the nose asymmetric too. In majority of patients, this asymmetry is small and not noticeable to the patient and the doctor. Looking at your picture which is not too sharp, one can see slight difference between the left side which is slightly longer than the right. You can see the left nasal lobule is slightly smaller and lower than the right, therefore, your nose is mildly deviated to the left and makes the right side fuller and appear swollen. This can also be seen on the preoperative photos too.  A small amount of filler on the right side will improve the appearance and symmetry of your nose. Surgically, small amount of crushed cartilage on the right will do the same thing on the long term basis.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon