Why Still One Side of my Nose is More Swollen, 9 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty?

I am starting to get worried about the uneven swelling on my nose 9 weeks after rhinoplasty? the swelling on the left side of my nose is just not going down .... is there anything that i should do ? my doctor suggested gentel massage but its helpless...

Asymmetrical Swelling 9 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+2

Asymmetrical swelling 9 weeks after rhinoplasty is common, particularly in the tip in a patient with thicker skin.  There is little you can do, except be patient.

Swollen 9 weeks after Rhinoplasty

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and swelling can be significant at 9 weeks after a Rhinoplasty. We instruct all of our Rhinoplasty patients in proper daily nasal massage techniques to remove residual swelling of the nose. Ask your surgeon for advice on how to decrease your swelling. It is typical to have swelling for 4-9 months after a Rhinoplasty depending on the thickness of skin and how much the nasal structures were manipulated during the Rhinoplasty.

+2

You will haveto be patient. Swelling can take 6-9 months to completely resolve and uneven swelling do happen depending on many factors.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Nasal Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

It is not uncommon after rhinoplasty surgery to have one side of the nose more swollen than the other side. No two sides heal at exactly the same rate. I would just keep careful follow-up with your rhinoplasty surgeon and if it does not improve, he/she can address it with you during the healing process.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling

+2

Everyone heals a bit differently. It is certainly possible to have differential swelling after a rhinoplasty.

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear katia12 in uae:

Swelling after rhinoplasty is expected, and it is common to be more swollen on one side. Gentle massage can help soften and remodel the scar as it is forming, but time is on your side. The upper nose swelling usually resolves in a few months; however, it can take a year (or longer) for the swelling to fully resolve at the tip.

Keep checking in with your surgeon. The improvement will be gradual, so taking pictures periodically can help. If the asymmetry is increasing or painful, you need to see your surgeon sooner.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Nose Swelling at 9 weeks post op

+2

Hi,

It all depends why your swelling. If you have some residual edema or fluid then massaging will help over time. If you are developing scar tissue then you may benefit from low dose steroid injections. Also make sure its not residual cartilage to the like.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

+2

Dear katia:

The right and left sides of the nose do not heal at the same pace, one side may look more swollen at one point, just to have this reversed after several weeks. Eventually as the healing is complete, the two sides will even out. 9 wks post rhinoplasty is still very early in the healing process.

Be patient, things will settle with time, but be mindful that no one's face is the same on both sides. Minor asymmetries were probably there before your surgery and minor asymmetries will remain after the surgery.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

9 weeks

+2

Two months is still pretty early after surgery for complete resolution of the swelling. Massage is helpful but more time is what is really required.

Jay M. Pensler, MD