Why Does One Side of my Chest Look Larger Than the Other Side After Gynecomastia Surgery? (photo)

On 09/10/2012 I had Gynecomastia Surgery+ Liposuction. After surgery I had a Jackson-Pratt drain attached to both my sides. The left side of my chest look flat and sunken in a bit but the right side of my chest looked bigger. Well on 09/14/2012 I had the drains removed and feel great but today I looked in the mirror and the right side of my chest worries me since it still looks larger than the right. IDK if it's the swelling or fluids in my chest or if this is how my chest will stay.

Asymmetry after gynecomastia surgery

+2

Asymmetry after gynecomastia surgery can occur just like after any other surgery. While most of the time this asymmetry is temporary and secondary to swelling and bruising that subsides at different rates, it can also be an inherent part of the end result. This could be secondary to underlying differences between the two sides that become uncovered when the breasts are reduced, but it could also be secondary to a postoperative complications. You should definitely consult with your surgeon.

Why Does One Side of my Chest Look Larger Than the Other Side After Gynecomastia Surgery?

+2

Still very early in the healing phase. Best to discuss with your doctor in person. Check if hematoma or just swelling or excess tissue. 

Fluid collection after gynecomastia surgery needs to be aspirated.

+2

Hi.

You might have a seroma (fluid collection).  If the fluid is not removed, it can become permanent internal scar tissue.  See your surgeon.  A sonogram will detect fluid.

Chest and liposuction

+2

The two sides do look a bi different but I bet they did before sugery. In any event, give it time to settle down a bit.  It can alwyas be revised a bit down the road.

Difference in sides after gynecomastia surgery

+2
Swelling will not go down identically. You can't draw any conclusions as to the cosmetic result from the amount of swelling you have now. It is only 9 days postop so you need to have patience and continue to followup with your plastic surgeon.

Post Surgery

+2

I would recommend you wait longer before worrying about the size difference.  You can go up and down with your swelling for a couple months after that procedure.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post-op asymmetry

+1

As noted, it's too early to say if the asymmetry is a result of tissue left behind, or if it's related to swelling, hematoma (blood collection) or seroma (fluid collection).  Your surgeon may be able to detect the latter causes, and if required, aspiration of a hematoma or seroma may give some instant improvement. Otherwise, you need to give your results time for resolution of swelling before pursuing any revision.  I advise my patients to wait 9 months to a year before doing any revision, particularly for asymmetry, as it can take that long to resolve, particularly if it's related to swelling from some excess bleeding on one side as compared to the other side.  If it's just residual fat, some additional liposuction can be done to get improvement, and that's a fairly simple process.  

Rick Silverman

Newton Plastic Surgeon