Why is One Side Hard and the Other Soft After a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

hi i had a tummy tuck a little over 8 weeks ago. The right side is hard and flat and looks great. However, the left side is soft and sags a little bit especially at the incision. I have been told im still swollen on that side and it will harden up like the other side. However i dont believe. Why is one side healing better then the other? can this be fixed with a revision? HELP

Asymmetry after a tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your question and photos. I do see some asymmetry in your photos. It looks like you have a little more skin on the left and it is possible that you have more swelling on that side. I agree with you that the skin usually gets softer over time after a tummy tuck, not firmer. I would wait for a couple more months until you are completely healed. If nothing changes, more skin could be removed from that side. Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Why is One Side Hard and the Other Soft After a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Results look great but I see extra skin & fat on the left side. Allow a few more months of healing before asking for a left side revision excision

Why is One Side Hard and the Other Soft After a #TummyTuck? (photo) ANS:

+1

Hard to tell from the photo but it could be several things. It could be just a little extra skin right above the incision that can be trimmed out in the office if it is still present after 6-8 months. Or it could be a little pocket of fluid, like a seroma, that may need to be drained with a needle in the office...So many times with my patients when I can't tell, I try aspirating with a needle in the office just to see if I do get anything...Just a thought.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

From your pictures it looks like you have great results. You are still swollen it’s too early to see final results, it take 6-12months for all swelling to subside... But from your pictures it looks good.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Why is One Side Hard and the Other Soft After a Tummy Tuck

+1

Thanks for the question and for the photos. The center and right photos are taken straight on and both look quite even. Obviously I cannot feel to determine if one side is harder than the other. 

So far it looks like you have quite a nice result.