Side Effects of Treatment for Varicose Veins?

Will I have wicked stains if I get my veins done on my legs? I'm seeing a doctor in Las Vegas for the first time for varicose veins. I don't have many. But I"m reading bad reports about if you tan and spotting. Is that true or possible.

Stains from sclero

+1

there is a possibility to get staining from sclero or treatment of varicose veins by other means.  a dark bruise looking staining may occur after treatment of large veins that are close to the surface if a large amount of blood is retained in that vein when it is being treated and the vein thrombosis. this can be treated by draining that vein.

matting may also occur after sclero and tanning may make it worse.

Ashburn General Surgeon

Staining after sclerotherapy

+1

Matting is what you are referring to and it can happen with sclerotherapy for veins. Brown pigmentation after treating a vein happens with some solutions more than others so make sure your doctor gives you all the information before you get it down. It is also better if you are not tan because this reduces the risk of altered pigment in the area of the injected vein. Your results will also depend on the diameter of the vessel being treated. For spider veins, I like glycerin but many people use hypertonic saline. Ask your doctor for before and afters so that you are an informed patient.

Kavita Mariwalla, MD