What Are the Side Effects of Nasal Spine Reduction?

During rhinoplasty I had my nasal spine reduced. I am unhappy with the result. My upper lip is much longer and premaxilla area is soft to the touch and seems to have excess skin. My doctor says it's normal and more attractive. When I voiced my concern he said he could take the fibers from the obicularis mucsle and reconnect them to the septum to raise the lip but cannot do anything about the nose/lip angle. Is this a common result of rhinoplasty and can it be fixed?My surgery was 4 yrs ago.

Nasal Spine Reduction

+1

Retraction at the junction of the nose and upper lip can be improved with a cartilage graft or augmenting the area with material such as Gortex. If your surgeon does not agree with you, get a second opinion.

Revision Rhinoplasty after Nasal Spine Removal

+1

Removing the nasal spine is usually performed for excessive fullness at the junction of the upper lip and the base of the nose.  Removing this is done to help provide a more attractive angle at this location as seen from the side.  However, there are consequences to each maneuver and these must be taken into consideration.  Having no photos all of this is speculation.  Treating this type of problem can be accomplished with the use of cartilage grafts to refill in the area where too much has been removed.  You would need to consult with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon to get a definitive answer.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Cartilage graft can correct this rhinoplaty problem.

+1

Hi.

This is an area where opinions without a detailed physical exam are not worth too much. But from your description, this sounds correctable.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Nasal spine reduction problem.

+1

A septal cartilage graft can be used to fill that area where the nasal spine was and at the same time slightly shorten the lip. See your surgeon and if need be get a second opinion from an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.