What Are the Side Effects of Juvederm? Can It Make You Feel Sick?

I was curious at the side effects of Juvederm. Can it make you feel sick or have a racing heart beat like some numbing injectables? I was just curious because I am thinking about getting my lips done. Thanks

Juvedermâ„¢ side effects are mainly redness and swelling

+1

There are some side effects from Juvederm such as redness or swelling to the injection site but it will not make you feel sick! There is such a small dose of localised lidocane numbing that it will not effect the heart rate or cause nausea.
But keep in mind that nervousness can cause these effects!

Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Risks/side effects of Juvederm

+1

The typical side effects associated with hyaluronic acid injections such as Juvederm and Restylane include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. It is possible that some of these side effects may be affected by the injection techniques, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times. Adverse reactions such as localized hypersensitivity reactions are fortunately quite rare and occur in approximately one in every 1,800 patients. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm with lidocaine.

+1
The beauty of the fillers with lidocaine mixed in is that you will not need a nerve block or any other additional numbing. It is the epinephrine that is mixed with the numbing agents that makes people feel sick and that is not in the filler. You should have no problem. Enjoy your new lips.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm has an excellent safety record

+1

Juvederm is a dermal filler that is based on hyaluronic acid (HA), a molecule that is naturally occurring in your body. For that reason, side-effects are very rare and generally limited to things like swelling and bruising from the injection. Occasionally, a nerve block may be used with lidocaine and epinephrine so rarely a sense of racing heart could occur from that. However, with the liocaine mixed into the product now (without epi) the nerve blocks are not usually necessary. Juvederm is an excellent choice for lips, but make sure you see an expert injector.

Richard Baxter, MD