Can Botox Produce Acne?

Is one of the side effects greassy skin in the injected area?

Botox does not cause acne or acne breakouts

+1

Botox does not cause acne or acne breakouts as you suggest. There is nothing in the mechanism of action of Botox that would suggest that it would indeed help activate acne breakouts.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and acne like skin breakouts

+1

I am not aware of this side effect and it has not been reported by my patients. In fact, I have heard that Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) can help dimish acne breakouts by decreasing nerve stimulation to the oil glands. However, given your description, I suppose it is theoretically possible that you are experiencing some sort of breakout that may be triggered by some nerve mediated process. Alternatively, you may be experiencing a mild allergic reaction to the product, prep, anesthetic, etc.

No way

+1

Botox will not cause acne. It will not make skin oilier or shinier. It will simply reduce movement-associated lines and wrinkles.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox and Acne

+1

Botox does not cause acne.  I am not aware of any studies or reports of Botox causing acne.  Having performed thousands of Botox injections in my patients I have never seen an association with acne.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox may improve acne

+1

I have never seen that Botox causes acne. There are some reports claiming that Botox reduces oily skin.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox does not cause acne

+1

There is nothing in the mechanism of action of Botox that would produce acne. In a recent study of Botox side effects, there was less acne in Botox-injected patients than patients injected with a placebo.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and acne

+1

I no of no studies that suggest Botox injections can cause an increase production of oils on the skin that would lead to acne.

Botox may improve acne

+1

Botox does not cause acne, it may improve acne. Intradermal Botox injections have been shown to decrease sebum production and facial pore size (Shah AR. Use of intradermal Botulinum Toxin to reduce sebum production and facial pore size. J Drugs Dermatol. 2008 Sep;7(9):847-50). If you experience acne breakouts after Botox, you likely have other factors triggering the acne, and I would consider standard anti-acne therapies.

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox does not cause acne

+1

there is no change in oil production that I have noticed with Botox injections. There may be less sweating in the skin that was injected, though, but that shouldn't change the acne.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox and acne

+1

Increased oil production is not a side effect of Botox injection, and it is not known to cause acne. If you are experiencing increased break outs in the area that you had injections, a dermatologic evaluation is recommended.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist