Can Botox Produce Acne?

Is one of the side effects greassy skin in the injected area?

Botox can't cause acne

Botox has not been found to cause acne or excessive production of skin oil (sebum). It is only designed to minimize and eliminate the dynamic wrinkles targeted.

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Botox does not cause acne or acne breakouts

Botox does not cause acne or acne breakouts as you suggest. There is nothing in the mechanism of action of Botox that would suggest that it would indeed help activate acne breakouts.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

5225 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and acne like skin breakouts

I am not aware of this side effect and it has not been reported by my patients. In fact, I have heard that Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) can help dimish acne breakouts by decreasing nerve stimulation to the oil glands. However, given your description, I suppose it is theoretically possible that you are experiencing some sort of breakout that may be triggered by some nerve mediated process. Alternatively, you may be experiencing a mild allergic reaction to the product, prep, anesthetic, etc.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

No way

Botox will not cause acne. It will not make skin oilier or shinier. It will simply reduce movement-associated lines and wrinkles.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

145 Robert E. Lee Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70124

Botox and Acne

Botox does not cause acne.  I am not aware of any studies or reports of Botox causing acne.  Having performed thousands of Botox injections in my patients I have never seen an association with acne.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

600 San Ramon Valley Blvd
Danville, CA 94526

Botox may improve acne

I have never seen that Botox causes acne. There are some reports claiming that Botox reduces oily skin.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Martinsstrasse 17

Botox does not cause acne

There is nothing in the mechanism of action of Botox that would produce acne. In a recent study of Botox side effects, there was less acne in Botox-injected patients than patients injected with a placebo.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

1 Diamond Hill Road
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922

Botox and acne

I no of no studies that suggest Botox injections can cause an increase production of oils on the skin that would lead to acne.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Botox may improve acne

Botox does not cause acne, it may improve acne. Intradermal Botox injections have been shown to decrease sebum production and facial pore size (Shah AR. Use of intradermal Botulinum Toxin to reduce sebum production and facial pore size. J Drugs Dermatol. 2008 Sep;7(9):847-50). If you experience acne breakouts after Botox, you likely have other factors triggering the acne, and I would consider standard anti-acne therapies.

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

4455 148th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98007

Botox does not cause acne

there is no change in oil production that I have noticed with Botox injections. There may be less sweating in the skin that was injected, though, but that shouldn't change the acne.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016