If a sibling developed a keloid after piercing ears, does that mean that I am likely to form a keloid if I pierce my ears?

If you have a sibling who developed a keloid after piercing there ear and formed a keloid. Does that mean that I am likely to form a keloid if I pierce my ears?

Keloid likelihood if sibling has keloid

+1
There is a genetic and racial element to keloids, and if your sibling has keloid tendency, then you will have a higher risk unfortunately.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
It is certainly possible. You also need to consider who performed the piercing and whether there was significant inflammation or infection preceding the scarring. However, in general terms, you are at increased risk for excessive scarring if your sibling formed a keloid. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon