Should I Have a Shrinking Mole Removed?

I am 53, and I've had this mole since I can remember. It is shrinking, but my doctor still wants to cut it out. Is there a reason to bother removing it? Should I have it cut out?

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for an evaluation of the lesion. 

If there are medical concerns, the mole should be removed

+1

If your doctor has medical concerns, like cancer, then you should definitely have your mole removed. But schedule an appointment with your doctor and ask him or her why they recommend the removal.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Would opt for excision

+1

This would depend on the clinical appearance of the mole. If the physician felt that there was a medical reason for concern, than you should have it removed. If he/she felt it was involuting with age, and there was no worry, then its excision would be purely cosmetic.

It would be simple to ask the doctor why he/she was concerned.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist