How to Shrink and Reposition Restylane After Cosmetic Surgery Swelling?

The Restylane in my tear troughs looked just perfect until, about a year later, I had fat injected into the inner corners of my eyes to cover dark areas. My eyes swelled up considerably. Now, the areas where Restylane was injected still is very lumpy and the Resylane is considerably displaced. Vitrase was injected five times with no improvement. What can be done to improve this disfiguring problem?

Fat and restylane for lower eyelids

As the Restylane was injected a year ago, it might have been almost fully dissolved before the fat was injected, and the fat might be the displaced filler, and that would explain why the hyaluronidase is not working to thin out the lumpiness.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough lumps

It sounds as if your problem is not related to Restylane but would need an oculoplastic surgeon to asses and correct. It is unlikely that Restylane has persisted for a year in your lower eyelids.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane lumps in tear troughs after fat injection

One year out the Restylane will have dissolved. The lumps you are feeling is most likely the fat that has scarred in. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon with fat injections to the tear troughs, and the best way to deal with it is to have it removed surgically.

Gary D. Breslow, MD, FACS
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Fat inejction to eye region

You did mention that the restylane was inejcted a year before fat inejctions. More than likely the restylane dissolved and the fat caused the lumps. That is why the vitrase did not work.  It does not dissolve fat.

Restylane problems after fat injections

It sounds to me like the problem is more related to the Fat transfer than the restylane.  The filler looked good for a year and then you had a fat injection?  If this is the case, I would be more apt to evaluate the fat.

However, I have personally had once case where the restylane was injected in this region where it did appear irregular that did require hyaluronidase injections.  This is the value of these types of fillers (restlane and juvederm), : they can be reversed.

With fat transfer this is not the case.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon