Can I Take a Shower After Surgery?

I had the heavy eyelid surgery 3 days ago. Is it safe to take a shower?

Showering after eyelid surgery.

+1

You should ask your surgeon when you can take a shower.  This is very surgeon specific.  I let my patients shower the next morning, with tepid water only and no rubbing of the lids, just let water run over the skin.  Some surgeons may not want the stitches getting wet, other surgeons, like myself, put all the sutures under the skin so thats not an issue.

Showering after lid surgery

+1

This is surgeon dependent.  I let my patients shower and get water over the stitches the day after surgery.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Taking a Shower after Surgery

+1

I usually tell my patients that after 3 days you can take a shower or bath but no water on your face yet.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Shower after surgery

+1

I usually have my eyelid and facelift patients shower the very next day.I tell them be wise use a baby shampoo so if you get soap in your eyes it wont burn.Also be careful blow drying behind your ears because they may be numb.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Showering and surgery?

+1

you definitely want to discuss this with your surgeon as we all have different opinions. I personally have no problem with patients showering. No bending over at the waist, no rubbing your eyes and you should be fine!

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Showering after surgery

+1

You need to ask your operating surgeon about this.  I have a three day rule for my facial patients but that is just because I don't think anyone should have to go three days without washing their hair!  (This also applies to camping trips; no more than three days.)  But seriously, I have my patients take a barely luke warm shower with their back to the shower.  It's okay for the face to get wet but not for the shower to hit the operated area directly.  Don't stay in too long and dab things off with a freshly laundered towel.  And if you drop the shampoo bottle, don't bend over to pick it up!  But really, this is a question you should ask your surgeon. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Showering after eyelid surgery.

+1

At three days post upper eyelid surgery, I would recommend that it is OK to shower.  You would want to make sure that you blot your lids dry and don't rub them.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Showering after eyelid surgery

+1

We usually allow showering after the sutures are removed in three to five days.

Its helpful to keep the suture line moist with antibiotic ointment.

Burr Von Maur, MD

Showering after upper eyelid surgery

+1

You should wait until the stitch on the upper eyelid is removed before taking a shower.  You can certainly take a bath as long as no water goes onto the incision/stitch.

V. William Papanastasiou, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait to take a shower after blepharoplasty

+1

Recommendations on how long to wait before getting a surgical incision wet in the shower can vary quite a bit among surgeons. I would stress just asking your surgeon how long you should wait. There may be some variability depending on what specific technique was used to close the incision.

I typically tell patients that the incision line is water tight after 48 hours. After this point there is very little chance that showering would carry any bacteria into the incision and cause an infection.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD