Should I Tell my Friends and Family About my Rhinoplasty Surgery?

I am having rhinoplasty surgery, and I don't know whether I should tell my friends and family about it. I'm afraid they will think I'm vain or judge me for having it done. What do you think? Should I tell?

Loved ones are often supportive of rhinoplasty surgery but the choice is yours

We find that the decision to tell friends and family is a very personal one that largely depends on you and your relationships.

For most of our patients, we find the question of telling friends and family is very simple and they find that the added support helps in making the entire process easier.

Occasionally, however we have some patients who feel that they have family or friends who simply will not accept their decision to proceed with surgery. Occasionally, these patients want to remove some family-defining characteristic, such as a nasal hump that they feel their family would want them to keep.

For other patients, especially those who are still in school, we will wait to have surgery over the winter or summer break so that changes are not quite so obvious to classmates.

Overall, however we have found that the social stigma that used to be associated with plastic surgery is no longer really an issue and, in general, when our patients discuss their reasons for wanting to pursue surgery, their families and friends are generally much more supportive throughout the process than you may otherwise expect.

In those cases, when our patients are from out of town or when they do not have support, it is important to have a comprehensive team and program to help take care of all your postoperative needs and to make you feel comfortable every step of the way.

Ultimately, the choice to have surgery should be yours alone. So, you can consider what others will think, but you should do what will make you most happy. Often, involving loved ones can make for a very positive experience.