Should I Have Carboxytherapy Before Blepharoplasty?

Should I get Carboxytherapy first before I consider Blepharoplasty for minor eye bags (starting to sag a little) and major dark circle (I am in my 20s)? As Carboxytherapy claims to break up fat cells, if I get Blepharoplasty first, would it make my eye hollow at the bottom if I get Carboxytherapy later? Thank you.

Laser Arcus release and fat grafting is you very best option for deep dark circles

+3

Before and after pictures of laser removal of puffiness and dark circles under the eyes

Dear Liponyc,

Carboxy therapy-injecting CO2 into your eyelids could accidentally place gas bubbles into the blood vessels feeding your eyes, and blind you! Further more I do not feel it would have any effect on the lower eyelid fat which lies beneath the eyelid muscle and septum.

Laser surgical methods are the only safe, effective way to permanently remove deep dark circles and bags under the eyes.

I do not use fillers like Juvederm, restylane or radiesse, because injection beneath the eye is dangerous-filler injections have caused blindness in a patient in England. I also do not do fat injections because of the same fear and because injections often leave lumps and are placed in the wrong position.

Effective removal of bags under eyes and dark circles under the eyes requires surgery.

No Carboxytherapy before Eyelid Surgery

+2

Carboxytherapy would be foolish and possibly dangerous. I cannot state which treatment I would recommend for you. It depends on the anatomy. Blepharoplasty, even in young patients, gives splendid results. Injections can be used, understanding that fat injections are less predictable. Laser resurfacing may play a role. It all depends on the particular problem. But carboxytherapy has no role.

Blepharoplasty

+2

Be careful with anything that will melt of dissolve fat around the eyes. This may cause hollowing that you probably do not want. A Blepharoplasty performed obviously under direct vision will precisely remove or redrape fat in the desired areas.

Beware of volume loss

+2

Blepharoplasty is a great solution for people with bags under their eyes when done in moderation. Young patients sometimes want eye jobs too soon. Fat injections done well are an ideal starting point without the risks of becoming too hollow.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Blepharoplasty is the way to go.

+2

LipoNYC,

The safest thing is to stick with the time-tested blepharoplasty. You need to talk with your surgeon about your expectations and possibilities, but my suggestion would be to do the blepharoplasty first. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Surgery Only safer

+2

I have no personal experience with carboxytherapy(injection of minute amounts of CO2 under the skin) but it seems an over treatment and could be risky to do this before blepharoplasty. If you have the anatomical deformity ,i would proceed with the surgery only.

Word of caution about any new treatment: Until it is well studied and used in different body areas , i would not try it around the eyes! This is a very sensitive area with very little margin for error for so many reasons.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Carboxytherapy seems excessive

+1

I would caution against carboxytherapy or any injection of material to dissolve fat such as lipodissolve. A blepharoplasty is a much better and more predictable procedure than either of these treatments.

Avoid carboxy therapy

+1

Carboxy therapy is new, unproven, and potentially dangerous to your vision. I wouldn't even consider this option. Prominent eyelid fat pads and dark circles can best be addressed by lower eyelid blepharoplasty. However, fillers can be used in certain cases when bags are mild. Fillers, including fat, Juvederm, and Radiesse, can be used to fill the 'tear trough' areas, which will help camoflage the bulging fat. While all procedures have risks, these procedures have acceptable risks when performed by properly trained physicians.

Timothy R. Jones, MD
Akron Facial Plastic Surgeon