I am 18, and I am not happy with the shape,size, or perkiness of my breasts. Should I get Breast Implants?

I am 18, and I am not happy with the shape,size, or perkiness of my breasts. I wear a 30C and I want to be a 30D. Should I wait until I'm 22 so I can get silicone? Should I go ahead with the saline implants? I'm not sure if I want the teardrop shaped ones or the round ones...

Yes or no on implants

+2

The decision to have plastic surgery of any type is a very personal one.

Nobody can tell you whether you should have surgery or not, not even your plastic surgeon.  Only you can kinow if it is right for you.

The plastic surgeon can only tell you technically what he or she would suggest for you.  Consultations with several reputable plastic surgeons will help you decide on whether to have surgery or not.  There may be other problems than just size that bother you and should be corrected at the time the implants are placed.

My advice on plastic surgery in general is that if you have not made up your mind- do not do the surgery until you have made up your mind definitively.  Patients who are iffy about having surgery are often unhappy afterwards with their results.

Saline and silicone breast implant differences.

+1

SALINE
SILICONE

Adjustable volume
Fixed volume

Absorbed if ruptured
Not absorbed (silent rupture)

Rupture is obvious
Rupture may require MRI

MRI advised at 3 yrs & every 2yrs

FDA approved use over 18
FDA approved use over 22

Less expensive
More expensive

~ 3 cm incision
~ 5 cm incision

More dense per cc (heavier)
Less dense per cc (lighter)

Tendency for more rippling
Tendency for less rippling

Breast Implant Decision

+1
The only way to know what is right for you is through a personal consultation with a Plastic Surgeon. At the consultation, all alternatives, including use of silicone, will be discussed. You may also need to discuss a lift to correct the "perkiness."

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get Breast Implants?

+1

It is a very personal decision, not to be made over the internet. You are old enough and the size, style is acceptable. But best to see a boarded plastic surgeon in person. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Saline or gel

+1

The larger the implant and the less the breast tissue the more the difference between saline and gel implants. Given the size of your breasts and the one cup size increase and the fact that the saline is less expensive it is completely reasonable to use the saline in preference to the gel.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants? Yes or No

+1

Only you will know if a breast augmentation will make you happy. If you are not sure, then the answer is probably no.

Bra sizes are confusing. More often than not, a woman is not wearing a correctly fitted bra, doesn't know her bra size, or doesn't know how a bra is fitted. 

Cup size is dependent on the "number" part of the bra size... a D cup in a 34 bra is a different size from a 42 bra.

Outward projection is further determined by the "profile" of the implant. High school geometry: Height (projection) times Width (base width). A Higher Profile implant will give you a larger cup size for less volume than a Moderate Profile implant.

Furthermore, a saline implant looks bigger than a silicone implant of the same volume. That is because a saline implant is more oval (round on both top and base), while a silicone implant is flat on the base.

Some plastic surgery books have proposed the following parameters for breast augmentation:

• 32 bra: 100-200 ml per cup size
  • 34 bra: 150-250 ml per cup size
  • 36 bra: 200-300 ml per cup size
  • 38 bra: 250-350 ml per cup size

Tear drop shaped implants are not currently available in the United States, only round.

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants: To do or not to do, that is the question

+1

Some things we can only come to know through personal exploration. Implants should feel right to you and you alone to have the proper result and look that is really the 'you' inside. Most will think about breast augmentation two years or more, and many will say that they never were comfortable with their breast before augmentation. Can you wait for a silicone implant, only you can tell. The saline implant may be a very good option for you however, and many women continue to prefer them.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast augmentation - to do or not?

+1

You should see a plastic surgeron or two and ask this question or post a photo on RS.  But if you are a C cup now and have shape issues, you may not find the solution in implants alone and might need a lift.  Remember that the implants only make you a bigger version of what you already are regardless of teardrop or round.  True shape changes come from lifts and not so much from implants.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant choices

+1

Whether or not to have surgery is a personal choice. So  is the decision between saline and silicone implants. A consultation may help you with your decision.