Should my Breast Still Be This Low After Breast Lift?

Where should my breast be in relation to my arms. Had Lift 1 month ago, don't sag as much as they did, but told PS I wanted to be able not to wear if needed to, wanted breast firmer, and higher. Bra size was DD, now D. Still need a bra, many natural breast out there still a lot higher than mine. I think they look a lot better, but still not high enough at all. What should I tell Dr. at 6 week check up. Could he have done more or what he limited with what I had.

Higher breasts after Breast Lift

+4

Congratulations on your surgery: you look like you are on your way to an excellent result!

The nipple position is excellent, where it should be (at the height of the crease), and the position of the breast appears to be elevated.

I think your concern might be that the upper part of the breast is not as full and round as you might like.

When we perform a lift procedure, we use the best techniques we know to elevate and reshape the breast.  The ability of your tissues to hole the breast in that position determines how much settling will occur.

Breast implants help to provide more fill in the upper pole. Paradoxically, we may remove some breast tissue and put in implants to get that shaping without increasing size.

If your goal is to have that kind of round, full upper chest without a bra, you might want to consider that alternative.

On the other hand, with your current nipple position ad breast shape, you will look fine in a shirt without a bra. 

If your desire is to have a more pushed up look, wear a bra, or think about high profile implants in combination with a breast reduction. There are important trade-offs to that approach that you should discuss with your surgeon.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction (not breast lift) will give best result

+4

Hello!

It's difficult to say whether your plastic surgeon could have done more without seeing your pre-operative photos. From this photo, it appears that your nipples are at a decent level. One thing you DON'T want is...nipples that are too high! That is a very difficult problem to fix. Your nipple-areolar complexes should be located at (approximately) the half-way point between your shoulder and elbow. Yours appear to be SLIGHTLY lower than that.

I do not think that you will be able to go without a bra...unless you have a significant reduction in the size of your breasts. Women with larger breasts, such as yourself, should not go bra-less, as that only contributes to more droopiness in the future! If you really don't like wearing bras, you should request a breast reduction, removing approximately 600-700 grams from each breast. During that surgery, your nipples could be elevated slightly.

Overall, I think your plastic surgeon did what he could, without removing breast tissue. If you want your breasts higher and firmer, you need to have breast tissue removed...ie, a breast reduction. You could have a beautiful result from a reduction!!

Hope this answers your questions to your satisfaction. Good Luck.

Tracy L. Cordray, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Final position of the breasts after a breast lift

+3

The final position of your breasts will be ultimately noted after all the swelling has dissipated. Every patient heals differently but the majority patients should be able to see their final results approximately 6 months after their surgery area if at that time, you still feel that your breasts are still too low revisit with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. To avoid this problem in the first place, make sure that you use a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in breast lift surgery. When discussing your breast with options, make sure that your surgeon is prepared to address the possibility of sagging after a breast lift. Ask your surgeon where the strength of the breast lift will come from. Also ask your surgeon how their technique will determine your ultimate goals

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast lift reshapes the breast but does not change anatomic relationships.

+2

Many women want their breasts "higher" and expect a breast lift to accomplish this.  A breast lift translocates the areola and reshapes the breast.  It does not, however, lift the breast from the chest and drop in on a different area.  If the breast starts well below the clavicle, that's where it will start after a mastopexy.

Breast shape after breast lift

+2

Your nipples are in good position, and your breasts have a nice shape.  They are "lifted".  I think you are expecting to look very full in the upper half of your breasts, and that just doesn't happen after a breast lift except immediately after surgery.  If you had more of a reduction done, it might be possible to maintain more upper pole volume, but not with your current size.  Your skin quality also dictates final breast shape, so keep that in mind as well.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Breast position after breast lift

+2

Breast lift (mastopexy) is a procedure which repositions the breast and nipple superiorly, removes excess skin and creates a more youthful breast. There are limitations to how much can be accomplished based on the patient's individual anatomy, such as the location of the fold under the breast.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Expectations with breast lift

+2

Breasts normally are a bit pendulous. They do not sit firm and high in the majority of patients. I think it is a bit unrealistic to think so. From the photos shown, the breasts look fine.

Breast lift: goals and standards and realistic expectations.

+2

SEE VIDEO FOR SAMPLKE LIFT WITHOUT IMPLANTS:

The problem we all have is defining a perky breast. We all know one when we see one. But how do you describe it and how do you achieve it? Twenty years ago, we stated that the nipple should rest halfway down the humerus (upper arm bone). However, that measurement, to which you refer, is no longer popular. The most commonly utilized standard is about 2 cm above the breast crease (where the underwire sits). According to your photos, it appears that you meet the criteria for a lifted breast. Your reaction is a common response to a breast lift procedure. Most women desire a breast that is higher on the chest, In reality, we, as plastic surgeons elevate the nipple on the breast gland.

Difficult to make a large breasted woman not need a bra

+2

Even though your breasts are smaller and perkier than they were prior to your breast lift, you are still a larger breasted woman. As such it is difficult to tighten your breast tissues to where you would not need a bra. In fact, I would recommend againsy not wearing a bra, especially as you are healing, because this can make them saggier. If you really want to be able to go without a bra, some volume reduction would have been warranted. You are early in your recovery and it appears your incisions are healind well. I would recommend following your plastic surgeon's post-operative instructions and allowing time for full healing. Take care

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast lift result

+1
It looks like you have a pretty nice result.  Because you are still in the early stages of healing your breasts will evolve quite a bit in the next six months.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon at 6 weeks and then reassess your final result at 6 months.

David Stoker, MD