Should Blepharoplasty Scars Be Less Evident by Now?

I had eyelid surgery 5 weeks ago and my scars are still prominent even with makeup. I have followed recovery instructions and use an oitment my doctor had me start 5 days after surgery to hasten healing.

My scars are not only a very visible and long redline, they also are thick and raised -- very promenent when I close my eyes and touch my scar. The doctor said this is no problem, such evident scaring is normal at 5 weeks. However, I have read in more than a few articles and websites that eyelide scars should be not much noticeable by this time.

Am I impatient? Or, if red, thick texture lines at 5 weeks is not usual, what should I do? This is my second eyelid surgery. Does that make a difference?

Don't panic, but there may be ways to speed blepharoplasty recovery

+6

Don't panic. Upper eyelid incision scars usually heal beautifully with barely perceptible lines. Occasionally, these incisions will take longer to heal, especially if large amounts of skin were removed or the incision was extended farther to the outside to remove more skin.

The skin involved in healing is thicker in these situations and can take longer and remain thicker for a longer period of time. All this being said, what I usually have my patients do is to massage the scars gently 3-4 times per day and try to avoid using makeup or cosmetics that may create further irritation, redness, and swelling.

I also offer my patients pulsed-dye laser treatments combined with some injections to speed the softening, flattening, and redness reduction of their scars. Time alone will help clear the scars, but these treatments can speed things along.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

All incision scars go through a maturation phase

+6

This is a good question.

Whenever you have a wound or incision, the healing scar must mature, which involves multiple phases of collagen transformation. At six weeks, the collagen is the thickest and then over several weeks flattens. At the same time, the overlying epidermis of the skin turns red or pink and then over several weeks returns to your normal skin color. However, incisions may still be distinguishable depending on factors which you really can't control - genetics, infection, etc. However, blepharoplasty incisions tend to heal very well. The best way to help your incisions is to leave them alone and allow the healing process to occur. Many ointments and lotions cause irritation, especially with continued use. Another important factor for healing incisions is to protect them from the sun with SPF lotion or, as in the case with blepharoplasty, wearing sunglasses.

I hope this was helpful.

David Shafer, MD
NYC

David Shafer, MD

Patience is a virtue

+5

Unless you have an infection, you should be patient as scars of the uppr lids are usually the most imperceptible. Sometimes, if large amounts of skin is removed, there can be a noticeable transition between thicker skin of the upper part of the lid and the thinner skin of the lower part of the lid.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Thick, red, raised eyelid scars are not normal after 5 weeks

+3

Of course, you are understandably anxious, and may not be describing things quite accurately, but if your scars are as prominent as they sound, then there is a problem. Hypertrophic scars or keloids are almost unheard of in the eyelids, so I am not sure what to suggest, but definitely talk to your doctor.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Be patient

+3

While all patients scar differently, most upper eyelid scars heal very well. In general scars in most places tend to look fairly red and inflammed at about the 6-8 week mark, and continue to mature for up to a year, somtimes longer. I would tell you to wait several months before considering doing anything else. The thickness of the scars should also improve during this time. It should not make much of a difference that this is your second eyelid surgery.

Vishal Kapoor, MD

At six weeks, scars are at their worst

+2

Eyelid and skin incision scars go through a healing process. At six weeks, incision are at their worst in appearance so I wouldnt worry. I would avoid the sun because that tends to prolong the healing. If you have had a cut before you would know that the instant you had a cut, it didn't look that bad. However over a couple days it got red, left a scab and then started healing. These incisions should resolve without a problem within the next several months. This is still in the early stage of the game.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid incisions

+2

At this point in time the incisions should still be visisble...however the desciption of thickened may be more than expected. You should go beck to see your physician regarding this matter

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

5 Weeks Is Early to Worry But You Can Start Treating Eyelid Crease Scarring

+2

I am sorry to learn about your concerns. After 5 weeks I would still expect your being able notice the eyelid crease incision ( I assume your are speaking about an upper eyelid surgery.) Everyone is different in the amount of time that this takes to heal. If the area is raised you can very gently massage the area 2-3 x/ day for 5 minutes. Please also speak to your cosmetic surgeon about creams that can be massaged into the area to improve the line faster.

As an Ocular Plastic Surgeon I am routinely asked to improve incision lines and contours of the eyelid after blepharoplasty. Some patients need to have the scar line removed and resutured; others can benefit from laser skin resurfacing; but more often than not watchful waiting is all that is necessary.

Lower eyelid surgery is accomplished at my office without any skin incision at all. I gently remove the fullness (fatty tissue ) from the inside of the eyelid. I then tighten the skin with CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser resurfacing. NO stitches, NO skin Incision and NO scalpel.

Being your second eyelid surgery should not make a difference in the healing of the skin unless you had a lot of scar tissue from the prior procedure.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Should Blepharoplasty Scars Be Less Evident by Now

+1
Blepharoplasty scars can be prominent at five weeks. This can be very individual and your genetics play a role but it is not that unusual. I find that it takes about 3 1/2 months for scars to fully settle down for most. Do remember, although they may appear very prominent to you, others may not be able to notice your scars unless you point them out. If it is your second surgery as you indicated, pre-existing scar tissue may trap a bit of swelling longer than someone undergoing a primary blepharoplasty and it may take longer for your scars to settle.

George Volpe, MD

Blepharoplasty Scars

+1
Blepharoplasty scars should not be noticeable. If you look at my gallery, you can get closeuo views of eyes and incision sites (link below) Without photos I can't make exact suggestions, but there are options to improve your situation. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon