Should Blepharoplasty Scars Be Less Evident by Now?

I had eyelid surgery 5 weeks ago and my scars are still prominent even with makeup. I have followed recovery instructions and use an oitment my doctor had me start 5 days after surgery to hasten healing.

My scars are not only a very visible and long redline, they also are thick and raised -- very promenent when I close my eyes and touch my scar. The doctor said this is no problem, such evident scaring is normal at 5 weeks. However, I have read in more than a few articles and websites that eyelide scars should be not much noticeable by this time.

Am I impatient? Or, if red, thick texture lines at 5 weeks is not usual, what should I do? This is my second eyelid surgery. Does that make a difference?

All incision scars go through a maturation phase

This is a good question.

Whenever you have a wound or incision, the healing scar must mature, which involves multiple phases of collagen transformation. At six weeks, the collagen is the thickest and then over several weeks flattens. At the same time, the overlying epidermis of the skin turns red or pink and then over several weeks returns to your normal skin color. However, incisions may still be distinguishable depending on factors which you really can't control - genetics, infection, etc. However, blepharoplasty incisions tend to heal very well. The best way to help your incisions is to leave them alone and allow the healing process to occur. Many ointments and lotions cause irritation, especially with continued use. Another important factor for healing incisions is to protect them from the sun with SPF lotion or, as in the case with blepharoplasty, wearing sunglasses.

I hope this was helpful.

David Shafer, MD
NYC