Is it possible to get a shorter nose? (photo)

I think my nose is too long and i'd like it to be shorter. And by shorter I mean more space between my nose and my lips. Is this possible?

Nose Shortening With Rhinoplasty

+1
Yes. Shortening the nose, and giving the illusion of more space between your lips and your nose can be done by a number of maneuvers. In your picture with a smile, the nose comes down, making the distance between your nose and lips appear more limited. It is important to evaluate your nose with a neutral facial expression, because it is easy to raise the nose too much, resulting in an "operated on" look. When you consult a surgeon, it is important to look at before-and-after pictures to make sure that the surgeon can achieve what you are looking for in terms of improvement, and you should carefully communicate your desires. Simply shortening the nose (if nothing else is going to be changed) can even be done under local anesthesia in the office, but most often, a patient desires shortening as part of an overall plan to improve the aesthetics of the nose. Thanks for your question, and good luck.

Rhinoplasty Surgery to shorten the nose

+1
Yes, Rhinoplasty surgery can be performed to help achieve a shorter nose. Of critical importance is to define as specifically as possible what your goals are and how they will impact the appearance of your nose. It will be important to discuss how any changes in the length of your nose impact the tilt of the nose relative to the lip (this is called the rotation) and how any changes might impact the projection of your nose (or how far the nose is projected away from the face). It is important to set up a face to face consult with an experienced and accredited surgeon for the best surgical treatment plan. Rhinoplasty surgery is often one of the most challenging and difficult surgeries so it is important to find an experienced surgeon who is board certified, has good patient reviews and that you can communicate easily with. Good Luck with your search!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to shorten the nose

+1
There are multiple techniques available to the rhinoplasty surgeon to shorten the patient's nose. These include tip suturing techniques, cartilage removal,  cartilage grafting, and shaving the caudal septum. It's also important to release the depressor septi ligament if it's present to prevent the tip of drooping upon animation.

A shorter nose after rhinoplasty

+1
You can have a shorter nose after rhinoplasty. Keep in mind shortening the nose might mean a shorter length, increased tip rotation, or reduced projection of the tip from the lip. The best discussion often revolves around computer simulation, experimenting with your photo to see and communicate accurately your ideal result.

Is it possible to get a shorter nose?

+1
The nasal area that you described and concerns you can be cosmetically improved with an artistically performed nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) by an experienced plastic surgeon.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in
person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to shorten the nose.

+1
Rhinoplasty to shorten your can be done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Make sure you look at before and after pictures to determine if the surgeon does natural looking noses.  

Is it possible to get a shorter nose?

+1

Yes, that goal can be achieved.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Shortening a nose is a common goal in rhinoplasty

+1

The answer is yes.  The tip of the nose can be elevated to create a shorter nose and an appearance of more space between the lip and nose.  Although the concept seems simple, this maneuver needs to be performed carefully to maintain an aesthetic relationship between the tip and bridge, the right amount of nostril show, and preservation of a smooth and refined tip shape.  The issue about tip shape is especially important because lifting a tip can make it look wider is some cases.  For this reason, I often use special strut grafts to preserve the ideal tip shape when I shorten a nose (see video link).

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon