Shorter but Not Narrower Nose After Rhinoplasty?

My nose is long, but other than that I don't mind it. I don't mind the bulb, or that it's wider than a "perfect" nose might be. I don't want a perfect nose, just to be me with a shorter nose, as it protrudes significantly. I like my front profile, but not the side. My surgeon said he would have to narrow the nose as well for it to be in proportion. Should I be expecting a completely different nose if I go ahead?

Shorten a nose only

+1

It is generally difficult to correct one dimension of the nose without effecting other aspects of the nose.

Natural looking rhinoplasty with reasonable expectations

+1

Dear patient from Sydney Australia,
You seem to have reasonable expectation. It is difficult to render a professional opinion based on your descriptions. I would recommend getting a second opinion to further educate yourself. Reduction of nasal hump requires Osteotomy (breaking the nasal bone) which will narrow the nose slightly.
The goal of cosmetic nasal surgery should be improvements that look pleasing, but also fit an individual’s other facial features. To achieve a natural nose job removal of a nose hump (bump) can be the solution to this undesired facial feature. A reduction in the nose hump (bump) can make a significant difference in the whole appearance of the face. In addition, other patients need reduction of nasal tips that are too far from their faces. Other may also need reduction of the width of their nose.
Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

Shorter nose

+1

You sound reasonable in yoru requests.  However, an exam at the least is in order to determine what would be best for you.

Shorter nose without narrowing.

+1

This can be done, but you need to find a surgeon who will only do what you request or tell you it is not possible. Noses can be shortened without changing the tip or front profile.

Rhinoplasty to help shorten nose or reduce protrusion from face

+1

Hi Sydney4554,

Yes, rhinoplasty can reduce the size of the nose or make it shorter. Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but rather many potential procedures to improve the appearance and function of the nose. For example, the bridge may be improved without surgery on the nasal tip.

Generally, plastic surgeons don't make the nose too small, but rather better proportioned with the rest of the face. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Many plastic surgeons will also perform preoperative computer imaging so that you may see potential results of various rhinoplasty procedures. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Very hard to advise without photos. But my guess is you can obtain the results you desire. seek other opinions. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. BLinski

Shortening the Long Nose

+1

Regarding : "Shorter but Not Narrower Nose After Rhinoplasty?
My nose is long, but other than that I don't mind it. I don't mind the bulb, or that it's wider than a "perfect" nose might be. I don't want a perfect nose, just to be me with a shorter nose, as it protrudes significantly. I like my front profile, but not the side. My surgeon said he would have to narrow the nose as well for it to be in proportion. Should I be expecting a completely different nose if I go ahead
?"

Rhinoplasty (Nose surgery) procedures is made up of a group of operations among which we pick a set which will address the various deformities of the nose the person wants corrected. It is far easier to shorten a nose than to lengthen it and it is done by trimming a variable segment from the front part of the septum and repositioning the nose tip (lower lateral) cartilages in a new and higher positions. This should NOT operating on and changing the entire nose.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Rhinoplasty: Shorter Nose Without Narrowing

+1

Hi Syd,

Your surgeon should be able to answer your question best.  It is possible to make a nose shorter without narrowing it, but it depends on the individual anatomy.  There are methods to make a large nose smaller without giving the patient a "completely different" nose.  Do choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD