Will Shortening my Nose Make my Midface Look Smaller? (photo)

I really want to shorten my nose but also i want my midface to look smaller, can you tell me if shortening the nose will create this effect? also what are the limits to shortening a nose?

Shortening the nose to create illusion of shorter midface

+1

Shortening the nose may give an illusion of the midface looking shorter, and the nose itself will actually be shorter.  To shorten the nose, the caudal septum can be adjusted along with tip surgery to give a shortening effect of the nose. The depressor septi ligaments can be released if the tip of the nose is depressed upon smiling and animation.  The closed rhinoplasty surgery is done as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia and takes approximately an hour and a half to perform.

Long Nose and Midface

+1

Your nose can be shortened but this should always be done conservatively in a man. You do have a long midface with poor cheek projection which can be improved by augmenting the cheeks with an implant or injections of fat or fillers.

Effect of Rhinoplasty on Midface

+1

The best way to answer your question is to have some computer imaging done for nose shortening and see what effect that has on your perception of your midface. I think what you mean by smaller is that the midface appears vertically shorter, (less long). From that perspective, a shorter nose will likely make your midface look longer not shorter.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Will Shortening my Nose Make my Midface Look Smaller?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, IMHO, shortening (rotating the nasal tip upward) and thinning the nose will not make your midface shorter but it will make it moe visible...which is a good thing aesthetically.  

Shorten nose or midface

+1

From your photo it appears you have maxillary vertical excess with significant tooth show at rest.  A rhinoplasty will not improve this.  You would require upper jaw surgery with shortening of the midface to correct this problem.  If you are interested in a rhinoplasty to shorten the nose in addition to jaw surgery, I would do the rhinoplasty secondary since significant nasal changes may occur with the upper jaw impaction.  Donald R. Nunn MD DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty to shorten the nose with long mid face.

+1

Rhinoplasty  to shorten the nose with long mid face can be done but conservatively . You do not want it shortened too much because it will make your midface look longer if you rotate the nose instead of shortening it.

How does shortening the nose affect the appearance of the mid-face?

+1

Typically it is ideal for the nose to match the other features of the face - especially in its proportion to the length and width of the face. There is no one set aesthetic ideal for nasal length. If you're bothered by the excessive length of your nose a good Rhinoplasty surgeon will typically shorten the nose to a point where it still remains proportionate to the length of your face. If you have a long face/midface you want to keep the nose longer than if you have a short face. Further, a shorter nose will not make the midface look shorter. It will just make the nose look out of proportion to the rest of the face. Oral surgery procedures are designed to reduce the height of an excessively long mid-face. Looking at the one photo you sent in it appears that your nose is a little long for your midface. In this case, shortening the nose will enhance your appearance. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Rhinoplasty to shorten the nose

+1

Dear davidvilla,

• You have a strong looking and balanced face that is very masculine
  • Shortening your midface would make you look funny because of your strong jawline
  • If you just straighten the nose and shorten it just a little bit, I think you would be very happy
  • The limits of how much to shorten the nose can be discussed in a consultation, it is hard to say based on that one picture

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD