Can a Shortened Upturned Nose Be Fixed with a Revision Rhinoplasty?

I am 11 days post op from my primary rhinoplasty and I am very unhappy with the results. I realize I still have swelling but my tip and show of my nostrils are unnatural and unattractive. It looks like a ski slope! Will my tip come down over time as the swelling decreases or will it continue to get worse? How much of an improvement could I expect with a revision? Thank you for your advise.

Shortened Upturned Nose

+2

Although I agree with your concern, you know that your nose will change - you're only 11 days post-op. If ultimately you're not satisfied, decreasing tip rotation will lengthen your nose and improve the "ski-slope" appearance. Be patient, but a revision by an experienced surgeon will provide significant improvement.

Yes, a short nose and over rotated tip can be fixed, but.....

+1

11 days after rhinoplasty surgery is very early. Your tip position can be expected to change over the next year. Right now, patience is paramount. At your next postoperative visit, discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  It would be beneficial to see your results in six months to reevaluate your current concerns. There are several options to correct your nose if it requires lengthening.

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early over-rotation of nose

+1

11 days is obviously very early in the course of healing - if your tip does not drop down there are a number of good nasal lengthening options

Sam Naficy, MD

Revision surgery to fix upturned nose

+1

It is not uncommon for the nose to appear somewhat upturned right after surgery due to the swelling. Especially after the first few weeks this can settle out a quite a bit. Your ultimate result would take at least a year to take form however.

It's not quite clear to me if your current over-rotation was present at all before your recent surgery, however. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see what he or she thinks.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

+1

It is difficult to predict how things will progress, but it is always best to wait until the healing process has stablized (usually 1 year). If a revision is required you probably will need your nose to be lengthened. This is one of the more challenging rhinoplasty techniques, but can be done well by an expert on revision surgery. Lengthening and lowering the nasal tip will likely make the nose look less "ski-slope" in profile.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

I agree with other Surgeons who have posted on this topic.  Although the nose does appear over-rotated now, you can expect some relaxation of the tip over time.  Only time will tell, because Rhinoplasty results can only be accurately judged after 1 year.  I would most definitely not seek a revision before 1 year.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

"Can a Shortened Upturned Nose Be Fixed with a Revision Rhinoplasty?

I am 11 days post op from my primary rhinoplasty and I am very unhappy with the results. I realize I still have swelling but my tip and show of my nostrils are unnatural and unattractive. It looks like a ski slope! Will my tip come down over time as the swelling decreases or will it continue to get worse? How much of an improvement could I expect with a revision? Thank you for your advise."

Thanks for the photo, this really helps! I think it is too early to tell....I see though what your concerns are; but still would wait as the tip does drop with time. Be as patient as you can, revising too soon can make matters worse!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

Shortened nose and upturned tip

+1

It is very early after your rhinoplasty, and it may come down a bit.  Give it some time.

Rhinoplasty

+1

I doubtbtat the shrtened nose and extreme lifted up tip will change greatly.

See your surgeon, some times early intervention is warranted to correct a deformity before scar occur and then becomes difficult. Seek another opinion as well.