Is It Possible to Shorten the Nose with Rhinoplasty but Keeping the Tip Untouched?

I have quite a long nose but I do like the tip of my nose and so Im wondering if it is even possible to shorten the nose without remodeling the tip of the nose? if so would it be an open or closed rhinoplasty?

Rhinoplasty to Shorten the Over Projected Nose

+2

Shortening the nose can be done by increasing rotation (lifting the tip up) or or de projecting (bringing the tip closer to your face) and or a combination of both.  This  can be accomplished either using a external or open approach or an endonasal "closed" approach and would be dictated by your surgeon as to which they felt would give you the best overall result.  Depending on the anatomy of your nose you may not need to modify the tip of your nose.  

Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shortening the nose without changing nasal tip

+1

Sometimes it is possible to shorten the nose, but it really depends upon the patient’s presenting nasal anatomy.  Shortening of the caudal septum is a maneuver that can be performed through closed rhinoplasty techniques as long as the remainder of the nose is adequate.  We perform most rhinoplasties through the closed approach.

Able to shorten nose without changing tip of nose?

+1

It is likely that you can have the nose shortened while keeping the tip of the nose intact. The outcome of the surgery ultimately depends on the anatomy of the "septal cartilage". Find a facial plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasties and this type of rhinoplasty. They can help ensure the best outcome. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she feels this is a viable option for you.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Shortening the nose without performing tip work

+1

A photo and/or an exam would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice. In many cases this is possible, but it would really depend on your individual circumstances.  The overall goal is to improve the appearance of your nose, and have it in harmony with the rest of your facial features.  Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Not working on tip makes rhinoplasty easier.

+1

Hi.

1)  Typically, the kind of rhinoplasty that it sounds like you need is the easiest to perform with the most consistent results.  You would need a closed rhinoplasty.

2)  Modifying the nasal tip is the trickiest step in nose surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

Yes, in fact I have performed this specific maneuver many times over the past 25 years.  If nothing else about the nose needs to be refined and you just want to rotate the nasal tip upwards (which is the same as shortening the nose), there's a specific procedure that trims the anterior septal angle cartilage without requiring a complete Rhinoplasty.  Be sure the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  

Nose Shortening Without Tip Changes

+1

The tip of your nose can be shortened without remodeling your tip. I am assuming you mean by remodeling any form of tip narrowing or tip rotation. It could be done through either an open or closed approach and I would discuss the advantages or disadvantages of each approach with your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Shortening the Nose Without Remodeling the Tip

+1

Your nose can be shortened without remodeling your tip. Although I have done open rhinoplasty for 35 years this technique would not be necessary in your case.