Possible to Shorten the Chin Vertically + Get an Implant Under Local Anesthesia? (photo)

Is it possible to shorten the chin vertically (by something such as burring down the bone - not by sliding genioplasty) and get an implant for projection all under local anesthesia? Is there a way to remove the excess tissue/muscle that hangs below the chin when I smile also? Thanks!!

Shorten the chin under local anesthesia?

+1

It is possible to do what you want to do under local anesthesia. The length of the jaw bone can be shortened by drilling it down and an implant can be placed to improve your projection. I would counsel against removing any tissue at this point. It is likely that you will notice an improvement with the increased prjection.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin contour

+1

do NOT 'shave' the base of the chin since it creates scarring and probable dimpling of the skin/muscle in the area. The sliding genioplasty can shorten the height properly either by the angle of the bone cut or by actually removing an intermediate part of the bone to get the proper height - safe and effective and gives maximum control of the chin area.

as to the 'hanging tissue', this can be reassessed; and there are ways to manage it, if it remains a concern. As a young patient, the 'stretching of the skin/muscle' under the chin will happen naturally if a bone chin surgery is done

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon