Can You Vertically Shorten Nasal Wings/alar? Can They Be Raised?

+1

If you want the ala projection reduced, this can be achieved.  If you want to move the alar wings higher on the face, there is not a slick, meaningful way to achieve this without creating a scar in that area.  About the most you could expect is 2 mm.  Find a creative plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties a year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Photos needed

+1

Please send a photo and I am happy to provide a specific response. In general however, small alterations can be made. Send the photo to langsdonclinic@bellsouth.net

Phillip Langsdon, MD
Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty alar tipplasty

+1

Good question. On a side view the optimal appearance is a 4mm distance between the edge of the nostril and the outer edge of the columella and each edge 2mm from the mid-axis of the opening. In most cases where the gap is smaller the columella is retruded. That is fortunate because it is much easier to move the columella forward than it is to move the nostril rim upwards.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty - Vertically Shorten Nasal Wings/alar

+1

Technically it is possible to shorten, but the important factor here is to achieve a good balance with the rest of your facial features.

Alberto Di Giuseppe, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon