If I shorten my nose, will I need nostril reduction?

I have a long nose, with a dorsal hump, and my nostrils slightly flare out. I want a closed surgery with minimal amount of work. 1) If I shorten my nose by shortening the septal cartilage, will my nostrils flare out more? I don't think increasing rotation or or de projecting my nose will work. 2) Is shortening of septal cartilage procedure closed or open surgery? 3) If I want to remove my dorsal hump and shorten my nose, would you recommend nostril reduction? I would really appreciate your opinion.

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump, nostril reduction and shortening the nose

+2
Without pictures, it is impossible to give  an opinion. The rhinoplasty procedure can shorten the long nose along with reducing the dorsal hump. Depending upon how much of the nose is de-projected, it can affect the flaring of the nostrils. All of your issues can be addressed through closed rhinoplasty techniques.

Rhinoplasty

+2

without photos it is hard to advise on this but if you find a good plastic surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty procedures you should be able to accomplish the aesthetic result you are looking for.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+2
I would not overthink the individual elements.  The truth is that a rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to evaluate the nose in a few seconds and know exactly what will produce the best result for you based upon your desires.  For any nose, there are probably several dozen maneuvers that I may or may not use for just the tip based upon anatomy and patient desires.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Rhinoplasty Consultation Needed

+1
Dear New Scientist, A rhinoplasty consultation will be able to answer all of your questions for you. Each surgery is specifically designed per patient depending on their needs, facial aesthetics etc. I would suggest going to a surgery consultation where digital imaging is available then the surgeon can show you the proposed results and discuss what will need to be done to attain those. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD