Can I 'Use' Short Term/temporary Fillers While Waiting for the Desired Effect of Sculptra?

I have not had any fillers for around 8 months per my Boston Ma Doctor's request. I have recently moved here and want to be sure my (new) Doctor's protocol is up to par with the other Doctors on 'RealSelf'. This Doctor believes abstaining from fillers helps 'prime my skin for the Sculptra injection process. This has been difficult for me because as a thin woman my face appears gaunt, almost sickly without the fillers. Family and friends have even expressed their concern for my well being!

Sculptra and other fillers "play nice" together

+1

I absolutely love Scupltra! I frequently use a mix-and-match approach to Sculptra and fillers. It takes time for Sculptra's volumizing effects to happen, and there's no reason not to get improvement while you wait for the results to be realized. And, there are areas where Sculptra isn't meant to be used, such as the under eye area and close to the mouth. Fillers are essential in these areas. One of the really fun things I've been doing lately is using a hyaluronic acid filler in the temples for those patients who are significantly volume depleted in that spot. It's instantly better, and then Sculptra can be the volumizer for the long haul.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Bio-stimulatory fillers in concert with non-stimulatory fillers

+1

Sculptra can be used in concert with other, shorter-duration fillers and can work in a complementary, synergistic fashion.  That being said, doctors will stick with what works well in their hands, so I wouldn't push your doctor to do something he/she is not comfortable with.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Sculptra

+1

Yes, fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesse can be used at the same time as Sculptra.  The effects of these fillers can be seen instantly while the Sculptra will take longer.

Sam Naficy, MD

Sculptra and fillers

+1

Sculptra and fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane complement each other.  Sculptra helps stimulate collagen to thicken the skin but cannot be used in all areas.  Fillers can add volume. In the appropriate patient, both can certainly be used.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Combining short and long term fillers

+1

I have successfully combined Radiesse and Sculptra treatments so that instant improvement can be seen from the Radiesse injections while waiting for Sculptra to kick in. One should not be too aggressive using this combination but it can be quite effective.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers plus Sculptra

+1

Absolutely!  Using Fillers in between Sculptra treatments are great.   Enjoy.

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Can short term fillers be used while waiting for the desired effect from Sculptra?

+1

Some physicians may use short term/temporary fillers while waiting for the desired effect from Sculptra, while some may not.  You would really need to ask this question of your treating physician to see what his or her preference is.  If you have not had any fillers in the last 8 months, I don't see why you couldn't be treated with Sculptra (or any other filler) at this point.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon