Dermal Fillers and Botox for Short Philtrium?

I have a slightly short Philtrum. It dose not close when I aleep nor at rest. What could I use to lower my upper lip.Will dermal fillers or Botox work? I read on this site that Botox can flaten the lip if injected higher and dermal fillers might weigh it down.

Fillers and Botox

+1

Dear Tallyho

The option of fillers with or without BOTOX is a good option for lengthening the upper lip and philtral columns. This can be done on a progressive basis- 2 to 3 month intervals. The nice advantage is if you do not like the result it will resolve or if HAs are used then the product can be dissolved.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

You Need a Good Permanent Fix

+1

The reasons for a short upper lip are numerous and the exact diagnosis is very important to make the appropriate treatment. Although fillers and Botox could potentially be beneficial it would have to be done very delicately.

I think the best long term solution would be surgery. Often a lip lengthening can be performed. Or perhaps other surgery could be necessary. So see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and perhaps a craniofacial surgeon at that.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Long face syndrome

+1

Dear Tally,

It sounds like you have what is known as long face syndrome. This condition involves an excess of the upper jaw bone. In other words, the problem is more than skin (philtrum) deep. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will determine whether this is the case and can guide you towards a treatment plan. I wouldn't plan on dermal fillers weighing down your lip and Botox may flatten lip wrinkles, but usually shortens the lip. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD