Would a Short/button Chin Implant Give Vertical Height to my Short Chin? Or Is the Flower Mandibular Glove the Only One? (photo)

What I really want is some height to my chin since my face is too round. Is that possible w button style implant? Would placing it lower on the jawline work? Please advise which implants will give the most vertical length to my face. I definitely don't want jaw surgery. I'm also having smartlipo as well. Thank you

chin implant for vertical height

+2

A chin implant will only give a mild amount of vertical height  due to the anatomical constraints of the implants placed on the mandible. The primary goal of a chin implant is to give anterior projection. Secondary goals of a chin implant is to give some vertical height and lateral width.  There are many different sizes and shapes of implants available, and the best placement route is through a sub-mental incision. It's impossible to add extra vertical height to the implant by letting it hang down  over the edge of the mandible.

Would a Short/button Chin Implant Give Vertical Height to my Short Chin? Or Is the Flower Mandibular Glove the Only One?

+1

If a chin implant is placed through an intraoral incision, the implant can be used to artificially lower the chin with inferior dissection of the pocket.  This is not how the implants were intended to be used but this can be done.  Chin implants of any variety are mainly used to add projection in the midsagittal or parasagittal planes.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin implant augmentation

+1

The most predictable outcomes with chin augmentation are to add projection on the side view and width on the front view.  There is always some vertical gain on front view, however this is not the primary purpose of chin implant augmentation. 

Without a view of your cheeks and forehead it is hard to say how much vertical gain you would require.  From the image you provided I think it would be more advantageous to create a smoother transition from the chin to the cheek then it would be to add vertical height.  An extended anatomical chin or a Middleman prejowl implant would accomplish this goal.  I don't think there is much use for button style implants any more. 

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Chin Lengthening Implant

+1

There are few implants that offer any vertical lengthening of the chin.The central button or curvilinear implants can be positioned low on the chin bone to give a few millimeters of lengthening but that is not their primary purpose. There is a new chin imlant design being developed specifically for vertical chin lengthening that will be available in the very near future.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Vertical height in a Chin Implant

+1

As Dr. Portuese stated, the desired aesthetic result with a chin implant is to achieve greater anterior mental projection.  Changes in vertical height are less predictable and shouldn't be the primary goal of this procedure.  Addressing the prejowl sulcus with a Mittleman prejowl implant combined with smartlipo may help to give an appearance of thinning the horizontal dimension of your lower face.  I generally avoid using "button style" implants because they tend to deepen the prejowl sulcus (junction between jowl and chin).

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin

+1

There are several components that give rise to the chin/lower face appearance.  You mention that you want height to the chin but that the face is also too round.  Depending on the overall facial appearance, you may need to address the chin and the jaw, which can be done surgically or non-surgically. Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD