No Insurance - Breast Reduction Options?

I am 4'11 and overweight. I am exercising now but have so many aches and pains it is difficult to exercise and stay focused on weight loss. I don't want to pay alot of money to a chiropractor when I know the biggest issue is my size 56DDD breasts and I gain weight around my midsection. I want to go down as far as I can but have no insurance right now. What other options do I have?

Breast Reduction Can Be Done On A Cosmetic Fee Basis

+2

Based on your body and breast size description, it sounds like you would really benefit from a significant breast reduction. It would likely be life-changing in your case, freeing you up to be more active and reduce a lot of neck, back and shoulder pain. Wthout medical insurance, your breast reduction will have to be paid for out of your pocket. I would first visit a plastic surgeon and get their price quote for breast reduction surgery or call around to numerous offices and get a general price range for the complete surgery. You can then apply for financing at a company such as Care Credit. once you know the amount of money that you need.

Other options for smaller breasts

+2

Large breasts can cause so many problems! - from back aches to neck pain, breast pain, rashes, sagging, to difficulty finding clothes that fit correctly and finally - large breasts make it very difficult to work out!  If you don't have insurance, the best option is to apply for financing.  Most plastic surgeons can provide multiple options to help you pay for surgery including loans and payment plans.  The cost of breast reduction without using insurance is about $7000.  Patients usually feel better right away after surgery.  Breast reduction surgery is an investment worth committing to!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and no insurance.

+2

It is best to come as close to your ideal body weight as possible to achieve the best result when considering a breast reduction.  Some insurance companies will cover a reduction mammoplasty but usually do have criteria for coverage which differs depending on the plan.  In the absence of health insurance, a reduction mammoplasty may be done as a cosmetic surgical procedure.  Seek out an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Stephen Delia, MD

Breast Reduction Hurdles?

+1

It sounds like you're determined to have the breast reduction surgery procedure;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

You are doing the right thing by losing weight first.  Doing so will maximize the chances of achieving the best results possible and minimize the chances that further surgery will be necessary in the near future.

Given that the procedure can be expensive,  it may be in your best interest to obtain  good quality health insurance  that may cover the procedure. Prior to obtaining health insurance you may want to check its policy in regards to breast reduction surgery.

At some point, consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be helpful.

Breast Reduction and No Insurance - How Do I Get This Covered?

+1

Hi Happy39 in Atlanta, GA,

I think that your best option is to contact a medical center  near you, and ask to be connected to the Plastic Surgery clinic.  This is typically an arrangement in which your surgery would be performed by a senior resident (someone who is just a few months away from going into practice) under the supervision of a more senior attending physician.  This has allowed many people to undergo plastic surgery of many different types who would not otherwise have been able to.

That being said, you still have to be a candidate for the surgery you're interested in.  If you're overweight, whether in your opinion or that of the plastic surgery department, it may be necessary for you to continue to undergo weight loss before you can reasonably be considered for surgery.  Once you're down to the weight that would be considered appropriate for you, you may need that or other surgery (such as a procedure that is more accurately termed a breast lift).

Either way, that's probably the best way for you to get this done.

Good luck, and I hope that this helps,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Larger breasts needing reduction cause back pain.

+1

You should first try to lose some weight.  Your breasts may reduce from the weight loss.   Added midsection and breast weight causes strain on the back muscles.  If you do not have insurance and you have the financial freedom to finance the surgery, many options exist.  First try the weight loss and see if it helps. 

Weight Loss then Breast Reduction is Best

+1

Lose weight.  Go to a University service that will do discounted surgery. Get insurance.  Once you have insurance get surgery.  Thats your range of choices.  You need to focus and make it happen.  If you work hard you will get there.  Good LUck

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction options

+1

I think the first thing you need to do is probably lose weight. Once you get down to your goal weight, the breast will probably get smaller and then you may have more choices.  But if you need surgery, you would have to pay for it.