Do T Shirts or Clothes Protects the Scars Enough from the Sun Exposure After Gynecomastia Surgery?

I had gynecomasty surgery one month ago, the surgery includes gland and lipo excision and changing the areolas position so the incisions made 360 degrees around my both areolas. I did post areolar dressing for 3 weeks and ı used corsets for 3 weeks. So ı use nothing now according to my doctors advice. My question is does t shirts or clothes protects my scars enough from the sun exposure? PS: I am an Operator doctor in Ophtalmology

Sunscreen and scars

+1

I would recommend avoiding the sun until your scars are mature. Scars are not mature as long as they are pink in color.  Protective clothing is a good choice, as well as applying waterproof sunscreen.

Protecting gynecomastia scars from sun

+1

Thanks for the excellent question!  You are right to be concerned about sun protection and you should continue this concern for about a year post-op.  Regular garments will not provide the necessary sun protection.  I would recommend daily application of sunscreen for one year.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Gynecomastia

+1

While healing the wound should be protected from the sun with sunsceens (SPF 50 and above).

Regular clothes and T shirts do not protect from sun rays (Ultraviolet, Infra red). There are specialty clothes that have and give protection from sun.

Scars after gynecomastia

+1

If you have the traditional incisions around the areola they must be protected from the sun for many months. For many years I have done the operation through a tiny incision inside the armpit which is completely invisible. This requires no sun protection.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon